My heart is CRUSHED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012 | 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I was in a similar wreck about 2 years ago. Traffic was dtopped on the interstate on my way to work, and I stopped about a car and half behind the car in front of me. An F150 that wasnt paying attention at all rear ended me at 70mph. We were in the HOV lane so there were concrete walls on both sides. He took out my Jeep and the car in front if me. I turned the wheel at the last second in an attemp to drive onto the narrow shoulder so my car actually missed the car in front of me and i wound up taking out the car 2 ahead of me after flying of the wall. We were all at a dead stop when the truck hit me. The accident (all 4cars) was deemed his fault due to the high rate of speed at impact. My car travelled over 200 yards up the freeway just from the momentum, so it wouldnt have mattered how far behind the other car I was.

Its interesting what you said about the seat. Mine snapped comlletely flat as well. I never met the guy that hit me, because I didnt wake up until i was almost to the hospital.

Im sorry to hear about your Camaro, and I know what you guys mean when you say its like losing your "baby." Heres a pic of the jeep after the wreck. Just the back, but there wasnt a panel left undamaged...
Name:  2010-11-08121256.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  148.6 KB

Old 09-05-2012 | 01:26 AM
Overdrive Member

In WA the law states you must be no less than 1/2 car length from the rear of the vehicle in front. So that means about 6-10 feet between vehicles.

Massey

Old 09-05-2012 | 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

We have a "following too closely" law, but it pertains to while the cars are moving along (no tailgating), not while parked in traffic.
Even at that, the distance is worded as "reasonable and prudent", no specified measurement.

Old 09-05-2012 | 08:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Never ever ever heard of a law stating that sitting still too close to the car in front is illegal. And if it's not illegal, you can't get a ticket for it, plain and simple. Here in Chicagoland, we have what's called bumper to bumper traffic. It's called that for a reason.
I have driven in Chicago, your taxi drivers take the term “Bumper to Bumper” to a whole new level. I don’t mind bumper to bumper traffic but at 65 MPH it’s a little unnerving for a country boy that learned to drive on the red clay roads of South Carolina.

Old 09-05-2012 | 08:31 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have driven in Chicago, your taxi drivers take the term “Bumper to Bumper” to a whole new level. I don’t mind bumper to bumper traffic but at 65 MPH it’s a little unnerving for a country boy that learned to drive on the red clay roads of South Carolina.
What part of SC were you in?

No one was cited in this wreck at all. The cop said he would have cited the car who started it all for improper signaling resulting in collision but he wasn't hit so he couldn't. He said the insurance companies would battle it out. And they are taking their time!

Old 09-05-2012 | 09:30 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by budsysmith
What part of SC were you in?

No one was cited in this wreck at all. The cop said he would have cited the car who started it all for improper signaling resulting in collision but he wasn't hit so he couldn't. He said the insurance companies would battle it out. And they are taking their time!
I lived in Sumter SC back 77-81. My older brother stayed. He went to Clemson and lives in Summersville.

Old 09-05-2012 | 10:13 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Lower part of the state. I'm 15 mins from clemson on NC/SC/GA border.

Old 09-05-2012 | 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Lots of SC folks here! I grew up in Lugoff.

Old 09-05-2012 | 02:42 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Today was almost another catastrophy. Had an idiot in a Corolla basically run a stop sign while I was heading for him in an Envoy doing 45 mph. Thank goodness I wasnt going any faster. Locked up the brakes and just missed his bumper by a few inches. He had the nerve to look back at me with his mouth open as if I did something wrong. WTH is wrong with people??

Old 09-05-2012 | 03:45 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I had always heard these things happen in threes but twice in about a week is insane. For me I have three major wrecks in 18 month. It started around 2001 and it worked out to be about every 6 months. None of them were my fault. Before that time I was wreck free and no wrecks since. I am a comuter so I have been lucky.

I did have the Ice come off a semi and come thru my convertible top and opened up the side of my face but I dont count that since I was way ugly before that happend and the top need replaced anyways.

Quick Reply: My heart is CRUSHED!