My heart is CRUSHED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Overdrive Member

I hate to say it but it will be a total. Even if the car was new with less than 1K on the clock it would have been considered a total. I was a body man when your car was new and I seen less damage total a car. The damage is not too bad as far as damage goes but it will be totaled due to labor. If you know some one who is good with quarter panels you could have her fixed.

Just to give you an idea this damage totaled my Sarah.

Name:  DSCN0233a.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  86.8 KB

I was able to repair the car and I had her back on the road a couple of ours after that photo was taken. I had all repairs done a couple of days later and the car in paint a day after that. So all may not be lost with the right person with the right skills.

Massey

Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear member

We're waiting to hear from claim center. Our insurance (Allstate) said it probably would be totalled and said that they "may" let us buy it back?? WTH? There's so much on this car that we'd like off of it if we have to part with it. The only other time I've been in an accident, the other car was totalled (again not my fault) so I only had to have a little damage repaired on it.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Camaros like yours are going anywhere between $2-4k, depending on condition, mileage, options, and location. The insurance company is going to go by book value, which may actually help you because street value is low. Insurance companies policies can vary, but the rule of thumb is if the cost of repairs exceeds 80% of the car's value, they will be looking to total it. At a $4k value (high end), that's $3,200. You definitely have more than that in damage.
They "may" let you buy it back? No, you tell them you are buying it back (if you want to). Also, their settlement price is negotiable. Argue to get more if it sounds low to you, and don't have to agree to their offer right away. Remember, the claims adjuster is working for the insurance company, not you.
Then you can decide if you want to fix the car on your own, or part it out. Even in an undamaged state before the crash, your car was worth more in pieces than whole.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Overdrive Member

The only time you cannot buy a vehicle back after it has been totaled is when the payout of the claim is less than the vehicle's bank note. If you own the car then you do have the option to get the car back. Buy back value is usually around 10% of the claim value. As 69 said you dont have to settle on the first offer they give. I would not be suprised if they only give you $1500 as a first offer. Dont let it go for that, check your local dealerships for what they are selling the same car for and make sure you get that value back. Some states also allow you to get the Taxes back as well, again that goes along with the overall claim value.

Massey

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 AM
2nd Gear member

This waiting is killing me. We can't do anything more until the others turn in their police statements and they have 15 days to do so. No one has even asked where the car is. I miss that car terribly. It's like your child and our driveway seems naked with the 4th car missing.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The bumper on the truck was to high.Here in PA anything over 18" to the underside of the bumper is not legal. The structure of your car that was suppost to take the hit did not. I know your "waiting" to hear but she is total loss. Repair by a good body shop would approch 10K easy.Would not be surprised if it was 12k.

Parting a car out can be a lot of work. You might want to think just taking what you want and letting them have the car. When you start talking with the adjuster start with a crazy number maybe twice what you want, Once you have beaten hime up for the most money possible then hit him with " OK but I am taking this,this, and this out of the car at that price."As cheap as camaro bodies can be bought these day I would never put that much effort into a 4th gen. You can buy a decent body for 1K.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I know they are going to total the car. The part I'm waiting on is we NEED another car whether is permanent or rental. And add to the fact that the kid's mother who hit him is pointing the finger at my son. While at the scene everyone was agreeing that the two front cars were stopped when the truck slammed into them. Today my agent called the driver of the front car and she doesn't remember if she was hit once or twice. Well I can help her, she would have had a lot more damage than she did and the front of our car would be uglier if it were hit twice. I dont see how stories can change.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well the cop should have had that sorted at the seen based on who he cited. If your son was not sited and the other drver was cited then someone not being sure about something after the fact should not matter.

The long weekend is going to be your biggest problem. Talk to your adjuster. I had a lady run a stop sign and T-bone me. She admitted to the cop she was not paying attension and missed the sign. A week later I called her insurance company and they said they had file a claim with my insurance. I said but it was her fault, the Agent said "Your wife admitted fault" I said "My wife was not even there" the agent said they had mixed up the statements in the folders. LOL.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Gorn
Well the cop should have had that sorted at the seen based on who he cited. If your son was not sited and the other drver was cited then someone not being sure about something after the fact should not matter.

The long weekend is going to be your biggest problem. Talk to your adjuster. I had a lady run a stop sign and T-bone me. She admitted to the cop she was not paying attension and missed the sign. A week later I called her insurance company and they said they had file a claim with my insurance. I said but it was her fault, the Agent said "Your wife admitted fault" I said "My wife was not even there" the agent said they had mixed up the statements in the folders. LOL.
WTF

Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by budsysmith
And add to the fact that the kid's mother who hit him is pointing the finger at my son.
I don't know how your state looks at things, but in a rearend collision, the guy in back is the loser. DOES NOT MATTER how quickly the cars in front stop, the rearender is at fault. It's called following too close for conditions, which is why he had no time to stop, and hit your son. Don't even let them think they can consider that the guy in back isn't at fault.

Quick Reply: My heart is CRUSHED!