My heart is CRUSHED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012 | 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about the at fault part, but I do know that when my Camaro was totalled, I was paid a lot more than I paid for it. It was a 2000 V6 5-speed with T-tops and 120K on the clock. The Insurance company (Allstate, I believe) came back with a first offer of $6400 for my totalled car. I had paid $5000 for it 3 months previous. I took the money and everything worked out fine. They were not helpful at all with anything for me to drive while my car was in the shop.

Old 09-02-2012 | 12:56 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by TheArtfulLodger
I don't know about the at fault part, but I do know that when my Camaro was totalled, I was paid a lot more than I paid for it. It was a 2000 V6 5-speed with T-tops and 120K on the clock. The Insurance company (Allstate, I believe) came back with a first offer of $6400 for my totalled car. I had paid $5000 for it 3 months previous. I took the money and everything worked out fine. They were not helpful at all with anything for me to drive while my car was in the shop.
Allstate is my carrier but State Farm is what the 20 year old in the truck has. They were making me believe that they had to wait on him to file for a claim number etc but I spent and hour talking to my agent friday and he started the claim for me.

By the way, see you're in SC too. Gradually I find a few more lol

Old 09-03-2012 | 10:31 AM
2nd Gear member

The back of the camaro reminds me of a couplE cars from that old game rush

Old 09-03-2012 | 11:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I don't know how your state looks at things, but in a rearend collision, the guy in back is the loser. DOES NOT MATTER how quickly the cars in front stop, the rearender is at fault. It's called following too close for conditions, which is why he had no time to stop, and hit your son. Don't even let them think they can consider that the guy in back isn't at fault.
Same here. The guy who runs into the back of someone is ALWAYS at fault.

Old 09-03-2012 | 11:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by budsysmith
Allstate is my carrier but State Farm is what the 20 year old in the truck has. They were making me believe that they had to wait on him to file for a claim number etc but I spent and hour talking to my agent friday and he started the claim for me.

By the way, see you're in SC too. Gradually I find a few more lol
The insurance should be working on it immediately FOR YOUR BENEFIT! Thats what we pay them all that money for. You should just go rent a car and give the bill to your insurance agent to pay.

Old 09-04-2012 | 07:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Same here. The guy who runs into the back of someone is ALWAYS at fault.

Some states are starting to look differently at this. Here in WA there were a rash of staged accidents by a group of people who would box in a vehicle and the front of pack would dynamite the brakes and force the inocent person to rear end them. They would claim to the insurance injuries and damages. This brough on new laws that find fault with the person that does a "brake check" and gets rear ended because of it.

In any state tho if the people that get hit are stopped and have been stopped at the time of the collision then the fault rests with the one that causes the collision.

There can still be fault applied to the middle car of a multi car impact as it could be stated that you stopped too close to car in front.

I was rear ended once so hard that I hit the car in front of me with almost a full carlength between us. Not much damage happened to the car I hit but the gal that hit me hit me so hard my rear bumper broke the head off her engine. The officer sited me for stopping too close to the car infront of me. I took pictures of my truck, her car and the skid marks on the freeway and when it came time to go to court the judge did not have a problem citing that if I had been stopped at a reasonable distance the damage to the vehicle in front of me would have been more severe. Since I was stopped farther away than what is normally considered reasonable the damage was slight and the fault for the damage to the vehicle I hit would rest on the gal that hit me.

I paid $150 for this rusty old beat up 63 Chevy truck and the insurance company from the gal that hit me ended up giving me almost $1000 for it. I bought a 65 Chevy truck to replace it and I also bought the 63 back as I just put a new engine in it and I wanted my engine back.

Massey

Old 09-04-2012 | 07:18 PM
|
2nd Gear member

It's been a week tomorrow and really haven't gotten anywhere. My son has given his story to both insurances. They said they had to wait to hear from everyone and to get the full police reports. Still no rental car....

It's funny that skid marks were brought up by Massey because there were no marks on the road at all which would indicate to me that none of them actually slammed on brakes.

Old 09-04-2012 | 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by budsysmith
It's funny that skid marks were brought up by Massey because there were no marks on the road at all which would indicate to me that none of them actually slammed on brakes.
With ABS brakes, a car doesn't leave a line of skid marks. A car without ABS, the wheels will lock up in a panic stop.

Old 09-04-2012 | 09:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have no idea how they could site someone for being pushed into the car infront of them. Is there a law somewhere that says what the "safe" distance is? It makes no sense to me.

I was sitting at a stop light the light turned green, I let off the brake but the car in front of did not go, so I waited. According to the Cop the car behind me saw the light turn green and hit the gas. I was hit at about 40 MPH, All that energy was transfered to my car. Because I did not have my foot on the brake I went from zero to almost 40 MPH and back to zero in about 18 ft. I could have been 1ft or 20 feet away from the car it would not have mattered I was all but knocked out.

The only skid marks where from the car that was stopped infront of me from me driving it forward. FYI if you push a car from a dead stop ABS does not work The car itself was totaled but did not look that bad. I broke the seat almost flat into the back seat I guess I had my arms up cause to broke the steering wheel inhalf when I came forward. I blew a disk in my neck and lost the use of my left hand for a week. No one ever even suggested it was in any way could have been my fault. In fact the insurance comapny wrote me a fat check for pain and suffering, no law suit required. I had the rental car the next day even tho I was too banged up to drive it.

Massy; the Con you are talking about is called the "Swoop and Squat". It is normally used against trucks with high centers of gravity because they simple can not stop as fast as a car. It was big in the 70's in NYC. The only way to defeat the scam is onboard camera or hope someone saw what they did not sticks around to let the cops know.

http://www.break.com/index/russian-i...e-scam-2050340

Last edited by Gorn; 09-04-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2012 | 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Never ever ever heard of a law stating that sitting still too close to the car in front is illegal. And if it's not illegal, you can't get a ticket for it, plain and simple. Here in Chicagoland, we have what's called bumper to bumper traffic. It's called that for a reason.

Quick Reply: My heart is CRUSHED!