Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by King Nothing
I've gotten close to 400 to a tank. Now a days I'm gettin about 350 or so
Holy smokes! I've gotten close to that, but that was on empty. I usually fill up at quarter tank.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
Holy smokes! I've gotten close to that, but that was on empty. I usually fill up at quarter tank.
the farthest i've gotten was 419 miles lol yeah i was on fumes . . . my fuel pump lasted almost 175K with me letting the gas get down to the red every time so i don't believe the whole "don't let it go under 1/4 or your fuel pump will die"

i was going 65-70mph on the freeway from san diego to modesto. my car is a stock LS1 with an auto trans. at the time it had a crappy tune but still had good gas mileage . . . just low on power, it's amazing what the car feels like when i took it to an actual tuner

Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)

Originally Posted by Guitar
I get 12 around town. F YA!
I am with you on that on Guitar. I am driving a 1994 Z28 with pacesetter headers, No A.I.R., No Cats, 3" exhaust all the way back and a lingenfelter CAI. I JUST filled up 20 minutes ago on my way home from work and figured my mileage to be 13.72 MPG. It is all mostly stop and go driving and a lot of morning idling to get her warm though. I need to look into getting a tune done on her.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by King Nothing
believe the whole "don't let it go under 1/4 or your fuel pump will die"
Its not BS it is directly from the GM engineer at the GM tech center. The fuel pump is a very hi out motor in a very small place. The fuel passing thru the pump cools it. As you get low on fuel and turn corners accelerator or brake the gas gets pushed around causing times of no fuel. This is very hard on the pump as it spins very fast with no coolant. Just because one person did break down does not mean that is not true. I know a Guy who got a 150K miles out of a Chevette but that does not make the Chevette a good car. You have to take into account the 1000's of cars that never made it to 100K. I would guess about 20% of all fuel pumps I have chanced where on cars the recently ran out of gas.

Due to the shape of our tanks when most cars are at a 1/4 tank there is little over a gallon left. You stop at a stop sign and you hear that pump wine real loud you have about a half a gallon left and you are hurting the pump.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)

I HATE the shape of our tanks. Once your gas gauge starts to move you can practically watch it drop, but it take forever to start moving.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Yooper Z28
I HATE the shape of our tanks. Once your gas gauge starts to move you can practically watch it drop, but it take forever to start moving.
Not mine, unless it gets overfilled it moves consistently from full to half, then it goes a little faster but not by a lot.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear member

Mine does the same with the gas tank gauge. No movement until about 80km's in, then plummets.

I've calculated I get about 22-23 around town without 91 octane.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

LS1s can get better MPGs than LT1s, all things equal

Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Its not BS it is directly from the GM engineer at the GM tech center. The fuel pump is a very hi out motor in a very small place. The fuel passing thru the pump cools it. As you get low on fuel and turn corners accelerator or brake the gas gets pushed around causing times of no fuel. This is very hard on the pump as it spins very fast with no coolant. Just because one person did break down does not mean that is not true. I know a Guy who got a 150K miles out of a Chevette but that does not make the Chevette a good car. You have to take into account the 1000's of cars that never made it to 100K. I would guess about 20% of all fuel pumps I have chanced where on cars the recently ran out of gas.

Due to the shape of our tanks when most cars are at a 1/4 tank there is little over a gallon left. You stop at a stop sign and you hear that pump wine real loud you have about a half a gallon left and you are hurting the pump.
Well I guess either I'm lucky or God loves me more and let my fuel pump last longer than most. Any explanation for a pump to last almost 180k when I ran the tank empty every tank for 6 years??

Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There are always exceptions to every rule. Designs of complicated assemblies are subject to stack up of manufacturing variation. Let say your bearings where just a little looser and the pump shaft was on the small side of the allowed variation. So you have a loose pump so as it heats up it has room to grow. Now take a pump that has real tight bearing and the shaft is on the large size. It may be able to pump more pressure than yours and even use less electricity but the first time it over heats it sustains damage and within a month its dead. It is easy to say make them all loose but you have to allow for manufacturing variation. The more allowable variation you design into a part the cheaper it gets. Same fuel pump for an air plane might cost $2,500 because they don’t allow for anywhere near the variation.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-16-2011 at 03:04 PM.