Missing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Default Missing fuses

Hi,

I have a 2001 Chevy Camaro V6 3.8L

I've got two issues.

The first is that I checked both 'under hood' fuse boxes and I was missing 3 (15a) fuses and 1 (30a) fuse. I never noticed this before.

Two of the 15a were lights of some kind
1 15a was fuel inj 2
1 30am was the air pump

Are all these in the base model, or were some of these v8 options that aren't in mine? I'm computer technician not a car guy

The other issue is every two weeks or so the car won't start, I call for a tow, they put it on the truck, it gets to the mechanic and it starts. The mechanic has put hours into trying to find it (they don't get paid if they don't) and has not found a thing. As a technician, I want to find something so I do get paid. But they haven't found a thing. I've outlined it more here:

[URL="http://ronhall.me/camaro-will-not-start/"]

But the nutshell is we did the battery, alternator, etc before this ever started, and it seems to get there and starts...but otherwise the engine doesn't start, the dash just lights up. No crank. The tow truck drivers try and it doesn't start when it leaves my drivewway. More details are on my site including things people are suggesting, but as a computer tech I know that trial and error can get EXPENSIVE.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Ron Slimmin Hall
The first is that I checked both 'under hood' fuse boxes and I was missing 3 (15a) fuses and 1 (30a) fuse. I never noticed this before.

Two of the 15a were lights of some kind
1 15a was fuel inj 2
1 30am was the air pump

Are all these in the base model, or were some of these v8 options that aren't in mine? I'm computer technician not a car guy
The lights you're referring to are for the Firebird right and left headlight door actuators.

The fuel injector fuse 1 is for a V6 or bank 1 of a V8 and the fuel injector 2 fuse is for bank 2 of a V8.

I'm not familiar enough with the V6 to be sure, but the air pump may not be used on that motor.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-05-2017, 05:20 AM
2nd Gear member

The missing fuses are normal for Camaro V6

Old 03-05-2017, 10:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

#2 sounds like a vats issue. or its in the column but that would be a vats issue too. sorta. could be in the ignition switch, get your volt meter out and see if the switch is getting/sending power to the starter when its failing. gotta find out where the power stops.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:02 PM
4th Gear Member

yup my 99 has the same fuses missing ,the sticker on the back side of the cover should say, not used an show wich ones on all 3 an sometimes have extra fuses for storage

Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Default It happened again!

The car did not start this morning yet again

Here is what happens

I turn the key, hear the chimes, but nothing starts except the dash board.

I've outlined it here.

I received this 2001 Camaro as a gift in 2013. For the most part it's run pretty smoothly. It's the V6 Automatic 3.8l engine.

Recently the alternator, battery, A/C compressor, A/C condensor, accessory belt, and accessory belt tensioner have all been replaced.

Currently, the car does not always start. We have it towed to Meineke and once it's off the tow truck, it starts.

1st incident: Feb 4, 2017 10am

2nd Incident Feb 15, 2017 11am

3rd incident March 3, 2017 10am

4th incident March 13, 2017 12pm - Car was backed in.

Each incident the car is parked on an incline, nose up in my drive way. I turn the key and the dash lights but the engine does not turn over. I put it in neutral, let it roll back a little, re-park it and try again.

During the first incident, the car re-started after trying for about an hour. I did let it roll backwards in neutral then re-parked it.

During the 2nd 3rd & 4th incidents it did not restart at home. The tow truck drivers each tried to start it unsuccessfully. It was put on the two truck and taken (.8) miles away to the mechanic where it started right away.

I am a computer technician familiar with the general principles of troubleshooting. We could replace the starter, the brake / throttle pedal harness, and even the linkage parts and still not resolve the issue. I am hoping this data can help narrow down what the issue may be.

We could spend a lot of time and labor - and still be wrong.

I was stranded overnight during this last incident so I'm open to suggestions.

Some have suggested it's electrical
I have wondered if it's a linkage issue triggering a 'shift lock' or not letting the car know it's in park. Since it works fine after being on a tow truck I wondered what could be resolved by the actual towing process. I.e. linkage.
Is the anti-theft system kicking in accidentally?
Solenoid?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ron Slimmin Hall
The car did not start this morning yet again

Here is what happens

I turn the key, hear the chimes, but nothing starts except the dash board.

I've outlined it here.

I received this 2001 Camaro as a gift in 2013. For the most part it's run pretty smoothly. It's the V6 Automatic 3.8l engine.

Recently the alternator, battery, A/C compressor, A/C condensor, accessory belt, and accessory belt tensioner have all been replaced.

Currently, the car does not always start. We have it towed to Meineke and once it's off the tow truck, it starts.

1st incident: Feb 4, 2017 10am

2nd Incident Feb 15, 2017 11am

3rd incident March 3, 2017 10am

4th incident March 13, 2017 12pm - Car was backed in.

Each incident the car is parked on an incline, nose up in my drive way. I turn the key and the dash lights but the engine does not turn over. I put it in neutral, let it roll back a little, re-park it and try again.

During the first incident, the car re-started after trying for about an hour. I did let it roll backwards in neutral then re-parked it.

During the 2nd 3rd & 4th incidents it did not restart at home. The tow truck drivers each tried to start it unsuccessfully. It was put on the two truck and taken (.8) miles away to the mechanic where it started right away.

I am a computer technician familiar with the general principles of troubleshooting. We could replace the starter, the brake / throttle pedal harness, and even the linkage parts and still not resolve the issue. I am hoping this data can help narrow down what the issue may be.

We could spend a lot of time and labor - and still be wrong.

I was stranded overnight during this last incident so I'm open to suggestions.

Some have suggested it's electrical
I have wondered if it's a linkage issue triggering a 'shift lock' or not letting the car know it's in park. Since it works fine after being on a tow truck I wondered what could be resolved by the actual towing process. I.e. linkage.
Is the anti-theft system kicking in accidentally?
Solenoid?
Air spark fuel, is there a drain some where? I had a similar problem once and I replaced ignition module and coil and it worked, I've heard stories about VATs issue but never experienced it, did u run for codes? Best wishes

Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM
4th Gear Member

could be the pump check valve on the fuel pump,,try turning the key 3 times to prime it ,an see if that helps my z28 did for about a year ,

Old 04-19-2019, 12:31 AM

Its very common issue in Camaro V6