Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: LT1 vs LS1

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ORIGINAL: RatedZ

ORIGINAL: RS.Camaro.SS

^ Who peed in his cheerios?
Nobody peed in my Cheerios. I just can't believe that after 9 years this debate is still carrying on. I don't even hear the Ford boys crying about the 4.6L Vs. the 5.0L anymore.

Just wait until the 2009 Camaro debuts. Nobody's even going to care about the LS1 anymore. The only reason people care about it now is because it's the last engine (for the time being) to be put under the hood of an F-Body. Hell, if the L98 was the last engine put under the hood of the F-Body, people would probably still be carrying on about thatengine...
then u dont talk to ford guys....
You're right, I don't. I can't hear them over the thunder of my longtubes and exhaust.

On a serious note, no, I really don'thear anyone crying about the 4.6L Vs. 5.0L debate anymore. It's over and done with, and they've moved on. Next it's going to be the 4.6L Vs. the Hurricane. I also hear there's a new 5.0L in the works, which may make its way into future Mustangs. We shall see. If that's the case, then yes, there will be a debate.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Ninja Administrator

I don't know who ever came up with the idea that LT1s are only good for 480 hp in n/a configuration, or whatever, and that there are plenty of LS1s running more than that n/a, but I'm yet to run into any of them, andLS1s area dime a dozen out here. Most of the LS1 crowd here bolts on an exhaust, lid, a set of headers, short-shifter, clutch, and maybe a set of gears,and think they have a hot rod, when in fact what they have is a car that will just keep ahead of a bone stock C5 Corvette by a fender. The very few people out here that do havehigh-powered LT1s and LS1s are running a power adder of some sort; under most circumstances, it's a supercharger and/or nitrous.
god, i hate to be coming in here late and drag out old posts, but it isnt hard to beat a c5 vette. Ur not one of those guys that still thinks the fbody ls1 is "detuned" from the factory are you? [>:]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

when i drove my mustang last fall and was on MF the 4.6 5.0 debate was alive and well. of course, it stemmed from some of the old fogeys who still tried to claim they would hit 12's in a stock 5.0 all day

one guy over there still claims on his mothers grave he hit 13.3 bone stock in a fox. I think his bone stock consisted of full boltons, weight reduction and suspension. but oh no, he was just powershifting .

back to the discussion, in an all out race car ur right, deeper pockets win. However, the LS based engines do mod better, not that the LTs dont mod well, but the LS1's are better in that regard.

And in high hp applications, the LS1's are more streetable than the LT1's. Doesnt mean the ls1 will always be faster, but those two things together are what i look for in a performance platform. Thats why I went ls1

Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know who ever came up with the idea that LT1s are only good for 480 hp in n/a configuration, or whatever, and that there are plenty of LS1s running more than that n/a, but I'm yet to run into any of them, andLS1s area dime a dozen out here. Most of the LS1 crowd here bolts on an exhaust, lid, a set of headers, short-shifter, clutch, and maybe a set of gears,and think they have a hot rod, when in fact what they have is a car that will just keep ahead of a bone stock C5 Corvette by a fender. The very few people out here that do havehigh-powered LT1s and LS1s are running a power adder of some sort; under most circumstances, it's a supercharger and/or nitrous.
god, i hate to be coming in here late and drag out old posts, but it isnt hard to beat a c5 vette. Ur not one of those guys that still thinks the fbody ls1 is "detuned" from the factory are you? [>:]
Who ever claimed that the LS1 in the F-Body was detuned from the factory? I said that the F-Body's exhaust was more restrictive than the C5's. If you want to consider that "detuned," then more power to you.

As for beating C5 Corvettes, no, it's no trouble at all.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

when i drove my mustang last fall and was on MF the 4.6 5.0 debate was alive and well. of course, it stemmed from some of the old fogeys who still tried to claim they would hit 12's in a stock 5.0 all day

one guy over there still claims on his mothers grave he hit 13.3 bone stock in a fox. I think his bone stock consisted of full boltons, weight reduction and suspension. but oh no, he was just powershifting .

back to the discussion, in an all out race car ur right, deeper pockets win. However, the LS based engines do mod better, not that the LTs dont mod well, but the LS1's are better in that regard.

And in high hp applications, the LS1's are more streetable than the LT1's. Doesnt mean the ls1 will always be faster, but those two things together are what i look for in a performance platform. Thats why I went ls1
Ah, yes, the "stock 5.0L 12 second club." I've run into a few of them. Any time a Mustang runs a 12, it's "stock," despite hearing the whine of a supercharger and a choppy idle. Some 5.0L owners claim 13.90s stock, but I still find that hard to believe, especially with between 215-225 hp and about 3100 lbs. However, I would prefer a 5.0L over the 4.6L, just because I prefer an iron block/aluminum head combo. I'm straight old-school when it comes to stuff like that.

As for the LT1 Vs. LS1 debate, I've never had any interest in trading my LT1 for an LS1. In 2002 I thought about buying a brand new Camaro SS, but I surely wasn't going to ditch my LT1 for it. While the LS1 is definitely a better flowing design, and due to that alone, it responds better to mods, but I still prefer the LT1. To each his own. I never found LS1s that difficult to beat. It never took me more than a few bolt-ons to do it.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Ninja Administrator

Who ever claimed that the LS1 in the F-Body was detuned from the factory? I said that the F-Body's exhaust was more restrictive than the C5's. If you want to consider that "detuned," then more power to you.

As for beating C5 Corvettes, no, it's no trouble at all.
oh come on. Im not coming down on u here near as bad as some of these guys. Look at my post, i obviously (and by obviously I mean to the point that it almost hurts..... so bad some of the weaker members are bleeding from the ears) look down on the "detuned" opinion which is quite rampant. i bet its probably even a sticky on a c5 forum "attention, fbody ls1's are detuned from ours. that is all". If you have a full bolton ls1 fbody (even a heavy TA) and only beat a c5 by a fender you need some major driving lessons. that was my only point.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

oh come on. Im not coming down on u here near as bad as some of these guys. Look at my post, i obviously (and by obviously I mean to the point that it almost hurts..... so bad some of the weaker members are bleeding from the ears) look down on the "detuned" opinion which is quite rampant. i bet its probably even a sticky on a c5 forum "attention, fbody ls1's are detuned from ours. that is all". If you have a full bolton ls1 fbody (even a heavy TA) and only beat a c5 by a fender you need some major driving lessons. that was my only point.
We're in agreement thatyou will probably find someone on a Vette forum that will claim that the LS1s are different, and if it makes those C5 owners feel better about their cars, then let them have at it, but the rest of us know the hard truth. If you drove a $40,000+ car,would you want to admit that a car that was $10,000-$14,000 cheaper had the same exact engine in it?

As for beating a C5 with full bolt-ons, of course it's going to happen. An L98 with full bolt-ons might beat a C5. However, due to the heavy weight of the TransAm, and you mentioned this, I think it's going to take some decentbolt-ons to do it. TransAms weigh nearly 3600 lbs, with some crossing the 3700 lb mark. That's a heavy car. The C5s weigh under 3300 lbs. That 300-400 lb difference is about .3-.4 in the 1/4 mile, which is significant.

As for being "down on me," that's the way it goes on the internet when you disagree with someone. Behind a monitor, everybody's pecker grows an extra 5 inches, they put on 2 feet in height, and about 250 lbs. Fighting in an internet forum (fighting, period...) is absolutely retarded. I never accused you of being all up in my stuff. It's clear that we can hold a conversation without insulting each other, and I will respect you as you've respected me.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ight ratedZ maybe some people arejust discoveringFbody'snow and want to know more about LS1 or LT1 or TPI TBI etc. people ask questions cause they want to know other people's opinions and facts about the engine or what have you. ive always been a chevy boy but only discovered whats more than what meets the eye with fbodys about 2 years ago and even though i could say i know enough now im still learning

Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JHL88

ight ratedZ maybe some people arejust discoveringFbody'snow and want to know more about LS1 or LT1 or TPI TBI etc. people ask questions cause they want to know other people's opinions and facts about the engine or what have you. ive always been a chevy boy but only discovered whats more than what meets the eye with fbodys about 2 years ago and even though i could say i know enough now im still learning
Fair enough. I hadn't thought about that.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 PM

I personally do care to read the debate, I've been wanting to do upgrades to my 94 z28 but my brother says I should sell it and get a newer one with the LS1, and I actually came to this forum today hoping to read about the differences