LT1 vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Default LT1 vs LS1

Ive been trying to convence a bunch of my friends that the LS1 is the better of the 2 engines and is was more mod friendly anyone got the stock stats of both engines? I meen in detail. Not just HP/Tq numbers I know those.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:33 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: LT1 vs LS1

The LS1 is the better bassed engine. Im sure one of the guys will buzz in and give you all the reason why and why not. I belive that the LT1 is limited to about 480 HP on pump gas in a NA form you know as well as i do that there are LS1s running well over that in a daily driver. I could be wrong.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear member

LT1's are much better engines off the launchand in the 1/8 mile. LS1's are amazingly fast on down the road. i was watching races of an evo vs. an ls1, the evo kills it but the ls1 comes around it like nothing down the road! The ls1's are also a lot easier to mod just because it's an ls series, which is basically GODLY! That's all i got.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear member

I believe that the LS1 is a better engineered engine. Cast iron is old technology, and being able to have an engine made of mostly aluminum frees up a lot of weight and adds even more strength. As far as which is better when it comes off the line... I really can't say one is better than the other. One can easily beat the other based on gearing and rear end ratios.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ive driven both but i own an LS1 but LT1's are a good engine they have a lower end torque advantage in the shorter distances from the start. LS1's are high end killers especially if they are modded

Old 08-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Overdrive Member

The LS1 benefits from the aluminum block for weight reduction as already mentioned, it also benefits in the high end above the LT1 because the heads are much taller and have the ability to flow much better. The intake ports on an LS series head are shaped like cathedrial towers |^| in essence, this allowed GM to get a larger port volume for great high end power while still retaining air flow velocity in the lower RPM for torque. The renovated head design also allowed for much higher valve lift, once again, to improve head flow. The LT series engines have the best flowing stock SBC heads to ever come from a GM plant(LT4 is the most powerful origional small block ever factory produced) and it benefits from a stock 10.5:1 compression and the reverse cooling design which actually allows for up to 11.5:1 compression on pump gas if it's tuned correctly. Overall the LS series is probably a better choice, and there are many more parts to upgrade it with, but an LT1 can be just as strong of a motor. You'll pay more upfront for an LS, but power is money, depends on how fast you can afford to go...

Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
4th Gear Member

I crack up at you guys saying the LS1 is not as good off launch and in the 1/8th, that is plain and simple BS.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear member

my 8.82 1/8th stock LT1 kills 8.0 second modded LS1's for the first 60ft everytime i go to the strip. and for the moment my car is still 100% stock as far as drivetrain goes. there are 4 LS1 cars (3 T/A's and a 02 SS) that run in the 8.0 area (7.9-8.2) and i kill them the first 60 ft. everytime.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't believe that after 9 years this debate is still going on.

I don't know who ever came up with the idea that LT1s are only good for 480 hp in n/a configuration, or whatever, and that there are plenty of LS1s running more than that n/a, but I'm yet to run into any of them, andLS1s area dime a dozen out here. Most of the LS1 crowd here bolts on an exhaust, lid, a set of headers, short-shifter, clutch, and maybe a set of gears,and think they have a hot rod, when in fact what they have is a car that will just keep ahead of a bone stock C5 Corvette by a fender. The very few people out here that do havehigh-powered LT1s and LS1s are running a power adder of some sort; under most circumstances, it's a supercharger and/or nitrous.

People can talk about the lower weight of aluminum, head design, and everything else, but over-rev an LS1 and you can kiss the rods goodbye. I won't even mention the piston-slap issues that stem from the LS1. It's not a flawless design. IronGM smallblocksmay be ancient technology, but there were over 50 years of R&D that went into that design, and for over 50 years the design did its job extremely well. And then some idiot designed the optispark, which in itself was a good idea but poorly executed.Cost savings was the name of the game with the LT1, and not only did costcutting rear its ugly head in quality, but also under the hood with a set of heads that barely got the job done. Why did GM even develop the LT4, which was underrated at 330 hp? It's because that was their intention all along, and having a Camaro SS that was putting out 305 hp (5 hp higher than the standard Vette) wasn't going to cut it. By spending the extra money on development of the LT4 and dropping them into C4s, GM was basically advertising that the next Corvette was almost certain to be making more than 330 hp, which only got people talking. Keep in mind that 330 hp in 1996 was a pretty decent amount of power, just about the time when manufacturers all over the world figured out that people enjoyed high horsepower andreasonable gas mileage, and started stepping it up.

Anyway, so the LS1's heads flow better than those of the LT1, and the manifolds aren't as restrictive. They're factory parts. Compare the aftermarket heads of LT1s and LS1s and you're bound to run into very similar flow numbers. In the end, it's he/she who has thedeepest pockets that is going to win. It's been this way since the beginning of time, andthings haven't changed.

It's totally pointless to be arguing about factory engines. Both, the LT1 and LS1 are things of the past and are long forgotten. They'll be even more-so after the new Camaro debuts. Nobody cares anymore. You'll find people that swear by the LT1, and then you'll find those who swear by the LS1. These debates aren't going to change anyone's mind as to what they feel is the better engine; they didn't 9 years ago, and they aren't going to now.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

^ Who peed in his cheerios?