Lt1 or ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Overdrive Member

My parents made it perfectly clear what would happen if I was ever caught going that fast... It was not something I was gonna call their bluff on because I knew they were not bluffing.

My dad once chastised me for hitting a patch of ice and fishtailing and eventually hitting a curb which destroyed a rim and bent the panhard bar in my 1960 Chevy short step truck. A couple days later he hit the same patch of ice (you really cant see it till you are too far into the turn to slow down) and he went off the road and into the little revene and had to have a tow truck (with state patrol assistance) get him out. He was driving a 1968 Chevy short step, so our trucks were about the same as far as suspension and handling goes. I jumped him on this one when I found out and told him that I never wanted to hear him dig on my driving again... I kept my truck on the road and he didnt. I was 24 at the time so I had been driving a while. If it had have happened at 16, he would have been right by saying I was just lucky, because at 16 I would never have been able to keep my truck on the road no matter how good I "thought" I was back then.

Oh and I learned alot about driving when I raced hobby stocks at Spanaway speedway. The track was a 3/8th mile oval with a figure 8 in the middle. I built an 85 Monte Carlo with a 305. Top speeds for our class were in the mid 60's maybe in the 70's for the top guys but that was more than fast enough on that track. I wrecked a few times, I won a few too, but all of that was with a dedicated race car on a dedicated track with safety crews and what have you standing by to assist as needed.

Massey

Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm impressed his dad signed on. nice to see good parenting going online. i think a v6 is a good start.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Ninja Administrator

looks like this resolved itself but im goign to weigh in regardless... otherwise I will feel like I wasted my valuable time by reading it

Note to all of the guys on here -
The kid is 15. Of COURSE he thinks he is a good driver. How many of you didnt think you could handle a drag car when you first got your license?
We know different - I mean, he comes in asking about going 160mph (have ANY of you guys hit that speed? I don't think I have, and even if I have been close I don't do it often nor would i recommend it.) its really not that different than any of the wishful thinking crap that comes out of kids mouths. he wont listen to you, but thank goodness no insurance company is going to give him a car like that for less than 8k a year and sorry, but no 15 year old will make enough to cover that.
Hes wrong, but he will respond like any 15 year old, by citing the cars (real or exaggerated) that he has driven in the past as if that somehow supports his point. Don't worry, with any decent parenting he will grow out of it and join our forum in a couple years with a level head.

Originally Posted by Connor15
Hello. This is Connors dad. We already got him a 1995 3.4 v6 camaro. After reading his posts yesterday, we took it to a performance shop and had the governor set to 85 and the rev limiter set to 4500. Thanks for all the kind responses.

Thanks,

Justin
This is one of the most epic and awesome things I have seen in awhile. maybe not all that climactic, but still awesom.

bravo

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
This has been asked a million times. If you can afford a LS1 get it. If you cant then save up for one. If you dont have the money for a LS1 but want a 4th gen V8 right now then buy a LT1. If you dont have the money for a LT1 when you are SOL.

But for real do a search this has been asked on every LSX, LTX, Camaro, Firebird, and chevy forum for the last 13 years.
did you even read what this thread is about or just respond to the title?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm 18 and i remember when i was 16 just getting my license wanted to get my dads badass 95 z28 and my sister would do anything to get it i get her rs. i have to say that driving around in a blazer and a tahoe teaches you that speed isnt anything and can get you into horrible accidents. with a year of driving around tanks my dad gave me his z and baby the hell out of it. i highly suggest if you want to go fast now dont even think about getting out of high school, cause you probably wont live to see graduation. there are numorous stories at my school about the kid with the "fastest car" getting it totaled cause he was street racing.
but if you're still anxious. take it to a closed course like your local drag strip or track.
we're better off without kids like you on the streets.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM

ya i think i was like that at 15 too lol. but when ur out in the real world and stuff like bils and gas matter ur priorities shift. im 21 now and got a 00 camaro. its a v6 but i keep it clean. and people always tell me its a nice car. im perfectly happy wit it lol.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Connor15
Hello. This is Connors dad. We already got him a 1995 3.4 v6 camaro. After reading his posts yesterday, we took it to a performance shop and had the governor set to 85 and the rev limiter set to 4500. Thanks for all the kind responses.

Thanks,

Justin
Yikes! Sorry kid. I was rooting for you to get that LS1 or LT1.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Yikes! Sorry kid. I was rooting for you to get that LS1 or LT1.
Always such a dedicated devils advocate