Internal Pressure in radiator already replaced head gaskets twice in 1 month!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Exclamation Internal Pressure in radiator already replaced head gaskets twice in 1 month!!

I currently just had a valve job on my heads and I just replaced the head gaskets which blew on me twice already in the last month. I own a 93' Z28 and just recently she overheated on me again, an electric adapter came off my radiator and got jammed in the alternator. So I pulled over and popped the adapter back on the radiator filled it up with about 2 quarts of water and went straight home. She did fine on the way back but when I got home she was idling really rough and now whenever I start the motor with the radiator cap off to get a good accurate measure of how much coolants in the radiator the water shoots right back out where the radiator cap is. I've had some pretty big issues with this car I've owned it for just about 2 years and it has about 187,000 miles. I'm really desperate for any suggestions. The only thing I can guess is that there are air pockets in the radiator but I've bled her over and over again and it doesn't seem to be helping the case luckily there is no white smoke coming from the exhaust so I'm hoping for the best but if anybody has information or any words of wisdom please get back to me a.s.a.p. I'm just hoping that one of the head gaskets didn't blow out again. I know that I have the first year of the fourth generation so there are some kinks here and there. This is my first car and I really don't want to give up on her so again if you got any info please feel free to share.

Thanks, Nick

Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the air would be in the motor. try parking on a hill with the front of the car up and then bleed. bleed it when the motor is cool. i hate to say this but do a compression test. i know its a pita.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As you described at min you have a blown head gasket. First off any time a car overheats you can blow a heard gasket. Even in a new motor. Back when i did warranty work I put a lot of head gaskets in. Many of those where due to a failed thermostat or cooling fan system.
Second, did you do the head gaskets? where the heads checked for warpage? The deck of the block checked? Did you replace the head bolts? What gasket manufacture did you use? Did you get the heads & deck perfectly clean? Did you follow the torque specs? They require an angle gage?
To the best of my knowledge there was no change in the LT1 in or right after 93. Remember this was the first year for the Lt1 in the Camaro but not the first year for the LT1.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 AM

I'm with Gorn and was gonna sk if the heads was checked for warpage? I would also check the block...its not likely but does happen.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

He said he had a valve job done on the heads. If the machine shop didn't check the heads for being true (should be second nature on aluminum heads), then find another shop.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
He said he had a valve job done on the heads. If the machine shop didn't check the heads for being true (should be second nature on aluminum heads), then find another shop.
Boy howdy! no kid'n there especially with tin tops as said.

My '93 had radiator and heater core issues when I bought it,I had both replaced at a shop by pros.
Even they had a little trouble getting all the air out of the system and they use a power bleeder..
You might want to have it bled out by someone who has the power system once you determine all else is good to go.
My car runs cool and the heater and AC work great now.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Second, did you do the head gaskets? where the heads checked for warpage? The deck of the block checked? Did you replace the head bolts? What gasket manufacture did you use? Did you get the heads & deck perfectly clean? Did you follow the torque specs? They require an angle gage?
gorn what kind of a angle gage is used when torquing heads? when/why is it used? all ive ever done is to torque to specs and in sequence.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 PM

I replaced the head gaskets myself twice and used fel pro for my last choice of head gaskets. The heads aren't warped but cannot be shaved down anymore or else their completely junk. I believe the air bubbles are coming from the exhaust inside the piston because you can see white smoke/steam coming from my radiator when it kicks over.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM

I also replaced the head bolts and went straight from the book as far as torque specs go