Infamous L67 Engine Swap In 1997 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Default Infamous L67 Engine Swap In 1997 Camaro

Hello everyone!

Now I know everyone has heard of the infamous L36-L67 4th gen engine swap that "can't be done". Well your right! For most people it can't. Most people are lazy, and shoot for the L67 top swap. And thats just stupid. Because the L36 is not built for a supercharger. But mostly the lower intake manifold is taller then on the L67. Therefore not leaving enough clearance to fit under the engine bay.

Problem #2: The fire wall issue. The throttle body in the rear is a major issue with the fire wall in the way. Lucky for me, I already have a plan for that.

Pictures will be posted soon. I just ordered an L67 motor. It will be here in about two weeks. I will also be doing a (93-97) to (98-02) front end conversion.

I will keep everyone up to date, with pictures and info along the way.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Default Ram Air Box

I'm going to need a Ram Air Interface Air Box Kit (21004K) for this project. Would anyone know a good source for one of those? For under $300.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Overdrive Member

Good luck on your endeavors here I will be keeping my eye on it.

Massey

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Matthew Murphy
Hello everyone!

Now I know everyone has heard of the infamous L36-L67 4th gen engine swap that "can't be done".
I think it has already been proven that it can be and has been done. It is the amount of cost and effort that makes no sence. Without an intercooler the superchager adds very little to a 3800. So your going to spend a bunch of money and a lot of time building an engine that can be out run by a stock V8?

I mean sure if your a V6 lover. I'll watch the thread and good luck.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

I miss my L67 :*(.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
I think it has already been proven that it can be and has been done. It is the amount of cost and effort that makes no sence. Without an intercooler the superchager adds very little to a 3800. So your going to spend a bunch of money and a lot of time building an engine that can be out run by a stock V8?

I mean sure if your a V6 lover. I'll watch the thread and good luck.

Indeed it has. But there is not enough info out there on how its done. Mainly just people saying it cant be done. Now I'm going to go ahead and say it now, that this is NOT the most cost efficient way to get a lot of horsepower out of a camaro.

Now as far as performance goes. The L67 puts out 240HP. The LT1 does 285HP.(305HP in the SS application) There's not a huge difference between the two motors. Other then the money you'll save on gas. Not to mention that I have a lot of upgrades yet to come for this L67.

And I have thought about an intercooler. But an intercooler itself is a restriction in the air flow. I found that a good intercooler seems to “cost” about 2 psi. So, if I was running 8 psi and added the cooler in, now I have only 6 psi in the intake. You overcome this by putting a smaller Supercharger pulley on and getting the boost to 10 if you want to net 8 on the cold side. When you do that, it creates more heat for the intercooler to have to get rid of, and put more load on the engine without the benefit of increased boost. The return isn't worth it.

But I'm still thinking about it. I'll probably play around with an intercooler and some smaller pulleys on the dyno.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Droid

The drop in pressure with an intercooler is due to the air becoming more dense as it cools, not because of a restriction to flow. The mass of an equal volume of cooler air is greater than that of warmer air, which means the engine will get more air with less pressure and make more power.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Also don't get caught up in the HP quote game. I think it was Carol Shelby who said "HP sells cars but Torque wins races". Our cars are 4500 Lbs low end torgue is very important in how fast our cars go.

I do think it will be a nice project I just want to be sure you understood that if you line up against a decent V8 you will get owned. Heck a LS1 with a few boltons and a tune is pushing 360 HP with real nice low end torque. I saw one the other day that just need cosmedic quarter repair for $1800.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Our cars weigh 4500 lbs? I looked it up online and it was closer to 3300. I then searched on this forum and found YOU (GORN) saying even after adding a 300 lb driver in that it was somewhere around 3,650 lbs.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showt...=camaro+weight
WTF is up with that?!?!? :P

Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

LOL not only am I big I am so old my memory is going. I know when I did the calculation I was surpised how much it weighed I guess in my head I kept making it worse.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-03-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Infamous L67 Engine Swap In 1997 Camaro