I Need Some Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011 | 11:44 PM
|
1st Gear Member
Default I Need Some Opinions.

There's this "small" dealership close by that is selling a '97 Camaro, 30th Anniversary Edition. He's asking 3,000 for it. I took it for a test drive a few months back, drove great, had lots of power, didn't feel no shimmies or shakes, no "weird" sounds coming from anywhere. Body is in pretty good shape, except a few "scuff" marks on the passenger side, but nothing major. Problem is, I know the car has been sitting @ this lot for at least the past 6 years, probably a lot more. That kind of turned me away from it, since it's never been driven for so long. The only problems I saw was a crack on the dash, the airlift on the trunk is broke, and the key lock is missing on the driver's side roof window (It's a t-top)

Now, for those who know a lot about Camaros, I'm a college student who is currently laid off from work, and I don't have loads of money. I know insurance cost would raise, and I know parts are pricey when it comes to Camaros. Can you guys give me rough estimates on what it costs you for struts, tires, exhaust, etc. and is there anything wrong with the 97 models? Any bad thing they are known for?

I have the 3 grand right now for it, but I'd feel much better if I could talk him down to 2500. Before he said he wouldn't go any lower, but if I tell him all I have is 2500 and I got laid off, and possibly show him the money, he might go for it since he's had it for so long.

Is it worth it from the sound of it? Is there anything else I should look for if I go back for another test drive?

Basically any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-15-2011 | 11:46 PM
|
1st Gear Member

Also, mileage was somewhere in the 107,xxx. Give or take a thousand. I can't remember or sure. I looked under the hood and I can tell he did a great job at cleaning it cause it was spotless.

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

From what you posted, it seems like a good deal. Is it a Z28 or base model V6 Camaro?

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good. The hatch strut go out all the time. They cost $30 for a pair on eBay new. They are fairly easy to install. The dash broken is also common. Mine was broken aswell as the ttop Lock on the drivers side.3gs for 107k 1999 sounds fair especially at the dealer. As for camaro parts being expensive I cant really speak for the v8s but I own a 3.8 and with just a little searching I usually find parts for VERY cheap compared to Honda/Toyota. For example I bought a remanufatured alt for $30, icm new for $10, new tps sensor $40, and the engines are really cheap. Part of it is because the engines are available in alot of other gm vehicles from 93ish-05ish. I usually buy my parts from eBay but even at oreillys or napa I usually find them for cheaper than my 4 other toyotas. If you want expensive parts try buying parts for 4.7 Toyota v8 those are completely outrages.

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:22 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check the coolant AND oil next time you're there. Tires are around $600 mounted and balanced for my car so I'd assume the same for yours. Hatch struts NEVER auto-raised the hatch. They were just meant to hold it up once you lifted it up yourself. You can get struts at Autozone for like $30 though. I wouldn't worry too much about the keylock for the t-top. They're not really necessary. An exhaust system for that car can run you anywhere from $100 to $1,000 depending on what you want and if you buy used vs new. A cracked dash pad is a PITA because you can't find them at junk yards and to buy a new one, you're looking at like $275.

Over all it sounds sketchy. I would request a car fax report on it. For all you know the car COULD have a true 200,000 miles and he just put a lower mileage gauge cluster in the dash. If that car really only had 110,000 or less, it would sell here for $5000+

Go over it with a fine tooth comb! Ask if he'll let you take it to a trusted mechanic to look at it for a second opinion. If he says no, walk away. If he says yes, go for it and see what your mechanic says. I would start by checking the oil and coolant though. Good luck!

Last edited by Chaotic94; 01-16-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2011 | 12:30 AM
|
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
From what you posted, it seems like a good deal. Is it a Z28 or base model V6 Camaro?
Honestly, I have no idea. Ha ha. I've loved Camaro's for a long time, so this is my first time contemplating on buying one. I just know it's the 30th Anniversary because he kept going on about the "30" emblem on the seats. ha ha. I asked a few people around about him and they all said he's a good guy to work with and he treats you right.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the base model v6.

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:32 AM
|
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
Sounds good. The hatch strut go out all the time. They cost $30 for a pair on eBay new. They are fairly easy to install. The dash broken is also common. Mine was broken aswell as the ttop Lock on the drivers side.3gs for 107k 1999 sounds fair especially at the dealer. As for camaro parts being expensive I cant really speak for the v8s but I own a 3.8 and with just a little searching I usually find parts for VERY cheap compared to Honda/Toyota. For example I bought a remanufatured alt for $30, icm new for $10, new tps sensor $40, and the engines are really cheap. Part of it is because the engines are available in alot of other gm vehicles from 93ish-05ish. I usually buy my parts from eBay but even at oreillys or napa I usually find them for cheaper than my 4 other toyotas. If you want expensive parts try buying parts for 4.7 Toyota v8 those are completely outrages.
Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Check the coolant AND oil next time you're there. Tires are around $600 mounted and balanced for my car so I'd assume the same for yours. Hatch struts NEVER auto-raised the hatch. They were just meant to hold it up once you lifted it up yourself. You can get struts at Autozone for like $30 though. I wouldn't worry too much about the keylock for the t-top. They're not really necessary. An exhaust system for that car can run you anywhere from $100 to $1,000 depending on what you want and if you buy used vs new. A cracked dash pad is a PITA because you can't find them at junk yards and to buy a new one, you're looking at like $275.

Over all it sounds sketchy. I would request a car fax report on it. For all you know the car COULD have a true 200,000 miles and he just put a lower mileage gauge cluster in the dash. If that car really only had 110,000 or less, it would sell here for $5000+

Go over it with a fine tooth comb! Ask if he'll let you take it to a trusted mechanic to look at it for a second opinion. If he says no, walk away. If he says yes, go for it and see what your mechanic says. I would start by checking the oil and coolant though. Good luck!

Good stuff guys. That info helped. 600 for tires. I'm sure they would need new ones since it's been sitting there for so long. I'll have to re-check them once I go back.

Also, what's the gas mileage like? Bad, good, decent?

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well if its got 30th Anniversary stitching in the seats, it has to be a Z28. Unless they were installed by a previous owner. You should be able to get pretty good gas mileage regardless of which engine its equipped with.

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:40 AM
|
1st Gear Member

And also, a few years back I remember it having a $3700 price tag on it. Then I remember last year it said $3400, and now it's down to $3000.

Another thing that kind of worries me is, there's a reason he can't sell it. It's also out in "no where" and the dealership is kind of "rinky dinky" His lot is basically at his house.

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:42 AM
|
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Well if its got 30th Anniversary stitching in the seats, it has to be a Z28. Unless they were installed by a previous owner. You should be able to get pretty good gas mileage regardless of which engine its equipped with.
Well, it was kind of funny how he kept saying it was the 30th Anniversary, and showed me the 30th stitch on the front & back seats, as well as the emblem on the side of the car. I doubt he'd lie, because the way he talked about it, it's a "better" version of the OG Camaros. I guess?

Either way he seemed like a straight shooter. Since you guys seem to have positive opinions, I might look more into it now.

Quick Reply: I Need Some Opinions.