How much should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012 | 08:47 AM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=RSMan02;652708 That's why I just can't bring myself to letting them go for less than top dollar. I guess appraisal doesn't always mean people are willing to pay that, either.

[/QUOTE]

we all want to buy low and sell high

As a business owner who develops and manufactures products I can have a desired sale price all that I want. In the end, like with all commodities, the market determines the sale price, not the seller.

As a seller of readily available items ( cars included) you can elect to sell at fair market value or not to sell. Those are your only 2 choices.

If several people offer you $3,000- $5,000 then that is all the market says it is worth at this time. You can then elect to sell or not.

Old 11-28-2012 | 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you're not in a hurry to sell, price it higher than others and wait it out. Your car has a few things going in it's favor...it's in great condition (if you weren't spoofing earlier), it has low miles, it's the last production year for a 4th gen, and it's a rare RS edition. I looked, and there were no other 02 RS's out there for sale either on flebay or my local craigslist. Because of what it is, you can't go by "book value". Your car is worth more than a comparable non-RS 02, but it's going to take that "right" buyer to realize it's value, hence the no hurry part of the selling process.

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:05 AM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Because of what it is, you can't go by "book value". Your car is worth more than a comparable non-RS 02, but it's going to take that "right" buyer to realize it's value, hence the no hurry part of the selling process.

This is my whole point. I feel I have something special, but how many people really understand and know what an '02 RS really is historically? Also... are they really going to care? I've loved Camaros for a long time, but I never knew what I had until I researched it. I know it's not a V8, but its history and specs are something to be proud of. On top of it all, it's in excellent condition. Sure... this forum community of you guys are going to know a lot more about it, but the majority of people looking at the classifieds won't. I'm in no hurry, so maybe I'll wait it out.

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If you're not in a hurry to sell, price it higher than others and wait it out. Your car has a few things going in it's favor...it's in great condition (if you weren't spoofing earlier), it has low miles, it's the last production year for a 4th gen, and it's a rare RS edition. I looked, and there were no other 02 RS's out there for sale either on flebay or my local craigslist. Because of what it is, you can't go by "book value". Your car is worth more than a comparable non-RS 02, but it's going to take that "right" buyer to realize it's value, hence the no hurry part of the selling process.
that would be called a "niche market" and as 69 mentioned, requires a longer period of time to sell much like any higher priced product. The mass market may not give a darn about your RS badging and I know that I wouldn't either. It's a sixer and personally, it would be of no interest to me so I and those like me are not part of your audience.

You either need to wait for that niche buyer (no guarantees one will appear), price it for the mass market or not sell it.

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by RSMan02
...but how many people really understand and know what an '02 RS really is historically? Also... are they really going to care?
Do you care, and would it make a difference to you, now that you know more about the car?
If so, then you need to find someone just like you.
Another one like me....my wife would call that a nightmare!

Old 11-28-2012 | 12:27 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the chats, guys. You all make sense and I figured this would be the case. I'm hoping for that younger kid out there who can't afford the higher insurance rates that come with the V8 cars, and who still wants something more than just a base Camaro. I'll keep you posted if and when I sell it, and what I get for it. Thanks again!

Old 11-28-2012 | 01:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RSMan02
, but how many people really understand and know what an '02 RS really is historically?
That will be one of the Big problems. 98% of the market are clueless, Heck half the V6's on craigs list are advertised as RS's . Even years that did not have Rs packages. Many 4th gen guys just associate Z28 & SS = V8, V6 = RS.

One thing history of Camaro's sales has shown us it that rare V6 dont sell for much then their common brothers. A 1996 RS-Y87 today would have trouble selling for $500 more then is base model counter part with the same miles. Look at the value of a I6 2nd gen RS. that fact it is a RS is almost not relivent in the value.

Your looking for a guy that can Finance a 11 year old car, Wants a stock V6, Understand the SLP RS and is willing to pay thousands more then a base model. You competiing against rag tops.

Old 11-28-2012 | 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 20. I have a sixxer because of insurance. Your car sounds perfect to me. If I'd found it about 8 months ago for $5K, I'd have been at your doorstep cash in hand. I haven't looked recently, but I picked up my '02 non-RS with 93K for $4400 in March of this year. With that in mind, it seems to me like you'd be able to get $6000 no problem. Just my $.02

Last edited by TheArtfulLodger; 11-28-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2012 | 09:11 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your looking for a guy that can Finance a 11 year old car, Wants a stock V6, Understand the SLP RS and is willing to pay thousands more then a base model. You competiing against rag tops.
It sounds like I may end up having to keep it. Not that it bothers me having it around, but I thought I'd try out my first V8 Camaro real soon. Oh well... my RS still puts a smile on my face and I know what it is, even if nobody else does. I actually enjoy telling its history to other car gurus. They may snarl at my V6, but I'm not one that likes to push my cars to their limits anyway. I'm too meticulous and afraid to abuse them. My Corvettes are stout runners and they get driven like grandma's Cadillac. If someone on this site is looking for a nice SLP RS, then at least you guys know where to send them.

Old 11-28-2012 | 09:17 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by TheArtfulLodger
With that in mind, it seems to me like you'd be able to get $6000 no problem. Just my $.02
I don't think I'd have a problem getting $7,000 because of its' condition and features, but I've learned that's probably all that I'll be able to get out of it after the discussions I've had on this forum. The sad part is that I just can't feel good about letting it go for under $8,500. It's just way too darn awesome. I'm tellin' you... if you even looked at the carpet and upholstery in this car, you would think I just drove it off the showroom floor. Even if I picked up an '02 Z28 for a steal, I'd still have a problem letting my RS leave for less. I'm my own enemy to some extent.