How much should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How much should I ask?

I am the proud owner of a Sebring Silver 2002 Camaro RS. It is my understanding that there were only 443 of these RS models produced in 2002, so it would be extremely rare. SLP was solely responsible for the RS upgrades. My Camaro has only 52,600 miles on it and it's EXCELLENT overall. Ofcourse, it's equipped with a 3800 II and automatic transmission. I just need some enthusiast advice on how much I should ask when I go to selling it. I want to purchase a low-mileage 4th Generation SS or Z28. Thank you for your help!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Because its a v6 car and therefore less desireable then a similiarly optioned v8 car, you're going to have your best luck trading it in honestly. It sounds like a very nice car though! Post up some pics

Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Being rare does not help much with V6's. You could try $7500 but at this point you can buy a nice LS1 6 speed for $7500. It could take awhile to find someone looking for a high end V6.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

16yr old boy wants a camaro but daddy is scared to get him a v8 might be your only option

Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Those were the replies I was afraid of, but I guess that's reality. It really is a nice ride and it's a shame that it has to come down to what's under the hood. I know I would be satisfied with it, but I'm just not one that likes to run my cars to their fullest potential. I wouldn't even tear up a V8 car if I had one. Oh well... maybe I'll get lucky.

FYI: I did some more research on my Camaro and verified that it is a true SLP altered car. On the driver door jamb, there is a sticker certificate that indicates it's an SLP RS. Really cool history if you're interested in checking it out. Here's the link:

+2002 Camaro RS SLP - Bing Images

Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you search this site you will find a lot of information on SLP RS. We have had a few detailed discussion and several owners over the years.

The release of the 5th gen has hurt the value of upper end and to some extent the lower end of the 4th generation. When I was looking for a V6 in 09 yours was a 12K car. At that point a LS1 with 50K on it was a 15K car.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I would love to see a $12K appraisal on my car, but it's not like I was disappointed when I saw its actual value. I checked Kelley Blue Book and they have it appraised at $9,350 retail. Ofcourse, personal sale is a little less. I'm just too sentimental with my cars. I know how well I take care of them and they're always better than the next one you see on the road. That's why I just can't bring myself to letting them go for less than top dollar. I guess appraisal doesn't always mean people are willing to pay that, either.

I know you mentioned that the 5th generation Camaros are hurting the 4th generations values in some sense. Now that you mentioned that, I can kinda see it in this area. The new Camaros have somewhat taken over this part of Kansas. I even had a guy tell me that my Camaro is not a real one because it looks nothing like the 60s models. He truly believes that the Camaro was gone from the early 70s until 2010. Even if I had the money to spend, I would still rather have a 3rd or 4th generation. They are what I knew a Camaro to be as a kid, and they are always the first cars I'll think of when someone says the word "Camaro."

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have a friend that is looking for a 69 Camaro., He wants it built for daily driver. He wants 20 MPG min and a 6 speed. I asked if he looked at a LS1 6 speed in the 4th gen. He had no idea you could buy a 350HP 6 speed for less than 10K. I said you add in how rack and pinion, coil over suspension handles and you really have a great car. His comment was, “yea but can you do anything about the way it looks?”

This site is full of Camaro lovers, all types, heck I have (2) 4th gens. The reality check is the 4th gen lost the pony war that raged since 1966. In 2001 and 2002 the GM factory that built these cars ran one shift. They are designed to run three. They still had a surplus. You are going to find more people that don’t like the 4th gen then you will find people that do like it. 3rd gen on the other hand was a very successful Camaro.

I have an engineering friend that turned me on to the 3800/ 5 speed. 30 MPG and 220 ponies with a few bolt ons. It is one of GMs most reliable drive lines. He was not a mechanic. He was on his 3rd 3800/5 speed, He bought each one at around 30k and sold them at about 150K. He drives a 5th gen now. Value is all bout supply and demand. Without people activly looking for 4th gens the value drops on everything except the most rare show cars.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Really well-said. You just can't beat the bang for the buck on the 4th generations. I will say, though... if I could get my red '92 RS back tomorrow, then I'd trade all of my vehicles. I loved that car! It kinda became a rattle box over time, but it sure was a head-turner. Thanks for the info and your interest.