help with radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default help with radiator hose

I need help. One of my radiator hoses broke today during my lunch break. I am trying to find out if something is missing that fell off and how easy it would be to replace myself.

pics are from standing in front of the camaros on the passenger side behind the radiator.

Thanks a ton for any info!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats a heater hose restrictor. i see this place has a fix for it. 10 bucks. Stealth Conversions V8 Cooling System Parts - Heater Hose Restrictor & Splicers you could cut the metal off the hose and plug both ends for the short term. you wont have a heater.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 AM
4th Gear Member

when doo dads (another technical term) like that go out on me I go and buy plastic T's, Y's, adapters depending upon what's needed and just use hose and clamps

Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the replies! I took it to a mechanic today and they replaced the whole hose. They cut off the whole hose and replaced it with just a regular hose. Is that OK or will it cause any problems with the heater or anything else?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MartineZ28
Thanks for the replies! I took it to a mechanic today and they replaced the whole hose. They cut off the whole hose and replaced it with just a regular hose. Is that OK or will it cause any problems with the heater or anything else?
no problems at all. You will be just fine

Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Awesome! Thanks for all the helpful info. You guys are the best!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the do dad's purpose is to allow a contained or restricted amount of coolant to the heater core. some say it is to keep the pressure in the heater core to a minimum so not to blow any welds in the core tubes. others say its to allow more coolant to flow to the motor/radiator. keep an eye on the temp when the motor is under stress. if it reacts like it did before then you should be ok. if it overheats or runs hot then you know where the possible problem is.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
the do dad's purpose is to allow a contained or restricted amount of coolant to the heater core. some say it is to keep the pressure in the heater core to a minimum so not to blow any welds in the core tubes. others say its to allow more coolant to flow to the motor/radiator. keep an eye on the temp when the motor is under stress. if it reacts like it did before then you should be ok. if it overheats or runs hot then you know where the possible problem is.
reducing diameter will increase pressure but reduce flow. Increasing diameter would flow better but then more coolant would flow through the core so maybe just maybe he would not get as much heat until the car is warmed up

Another way to consider things is when the heater core gets gunked up does the engine still cool OK? How about if the heater core is removed and bypassed?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the dodad is on the pressure side it will lower the pressure, if on the return side it would increase pressure. i think it has more to do with taking flow from the water pump. if the pump sees a easy way to make the fluid move it will use that instead of pushing it through the motor/radiator. the lt1 water pump outlet and inlet for the heater are both on the water pump. without any back pressure it would make the pump want to move the fluid to itself.