Header questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Default Header questions

I've got a '94 3.4 L camaro that the motor will be coming out of.
In it's place will be an old style (Gen 1) 350. Yes, I know the extent of work and everything else about converting it to a carb, and I know what I'm getting into and have specific reasons for it.
So anyhow, while shopping around for headers, preferably full length style, I can only find headers for the LT1 style heads with the D port exhausts.
Does anyone know of a place that builds them for Gen 1 heads?
How about for the 82-91 F body cars?
If I have to, I will go with shorties, but prefer the longer tubes.
Only real requirement is I'd like about a 1 5/8" primary and 3.5"+
collectors on them.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I am starting the exact same swap tomrow. If you have any questions about the swap ask me because i will have probably run into the same problems. all i can tell you about the headers is that i got lt1 pacesetter headers and was told they will fit but they havent come yet so idk.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Are you swapping the K member, or leaving the v-6 in there?
I think I am going to leave the v-6 in mine and build custom, solid mounts for it, that way I can get the motor as low as possible for hood clearance, as I'm running a tall single plane intake on mine.
The LT1 ports have d shaped ports on the exhaust, and although they will bolt up, the performance will suffer by using them, that is why I am looking for some others to fit.
What are you doing for trans?
Originally, I planned to put a bellhousing on the t-5 along with the other parts necessary to use that one, so I could run the 9" rear and 4.56 or 4.88 rear gears and have the OD, but I don't think it'll hold up long, so I'm going old school on that one too, building a th350 trans and about a 3000 rpm stall in it.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Im going to go with a turbo 350 trans with some b&m goodies. as for the k member im doing the same as you. What are you doing for exhaust? Im going with 3in true duals with dynomax bullet mufflers that end before the rear axle. all said and done that exhaust is only going to cost like $500 with headers. and done at a local exhaust shop

Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Once I find headers that will work...........
I talked to the guy that does custom exhaust for me and he recommended a heartthrob muffler. He'll run 3" to a Y, back to the muffler (no cats needed), then split coming out of the muffler that hangs in stock location.
He said it is no possible to run 3" duals on these cars, or even 2 1/2" because there is so little room and they end up scraping. I'll sacrifice a little power there I guess, possibly not. I've seen some tests showing that a Y pipe done correctly will yield as much power as true duals. It's kind of a compromise I'm not happy with, but it is what it is, and I don't want my wife ripping it off every week.
It'll be plenty noisy just from the engine, pete jackson gear drive, 12:1 compression engine running on E-85.
Any idea on air cleaner clearance on these?
I hate to have to drop the motor so low in the chassis that it scrapes.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no idea. is yours gunna be carbed?? mine is and if my hood hits ill just get a big cowl induction hood!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

How do you clear the distrubitor cap when you do this conversion? I've got a 4th gen with a ls1 and cant even fit my hand behind the manifold.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Since I'm doing an E-85/E-98 conversion, I will be running a holley DP 750 on top of a victor jr. single plane. This is mostly for my wife, and she's OK with a cowl induction or hood scoop even if needed, but I'm kind of thinking a completely stock appearing, v-6 looking, no ground effects, just a nice set of wheels will be cool. Although the pete jackson gear drive and loud exhaust will give away any chance of sleep type of thing going.

The distrib was another worry I had, I planned to run a standard HEI ignition with a hot coil and module to fire off the alky.
I'd probably be smarter to sell this one and get a gen 3, but the wife really likes this style and I paid nearly nothing for it.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by vteckiller
no idea. is yours gunna be carbed?? mine is and if my hood hits ill just get a big cowl induction hood!
Another thought I had was to build a custom, dual cold air intake if I'm having trouble with carb and air cleaner clearance. Just a thought for you if you didn't want to cut up the hood.