Hard Shift into Second When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

So I see there are three different schools of thought on this somewhat common issue.

One says that it is the 1 to 2 Transmission Shift Solenoid. That would be great, since they are inexpensive and pretty easy to change.

The other school of thought it that it is the transmission valve body, which is expensive and hard to change.

The third problem is a "Treat the symptom only fix" which is to add a transmission cooler.

My only issue is I took my car into my mechanic and there were no codes (Even using a reader that could read transmission codes)

Anyone have any advice they can help me choose which path to follow?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Try a simple flush and fill with a new filter and see if that helps. In my opinion, that's the most inexpensive and easy way.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DashingDaryl
So I see there are three different schools of thought on this somewhat common issue.

One says that it is the 1 to 2 Transmission Shift Solenoid. That would be great, since they are inexpensive and pretty easy to change.

The other school of thought it that it is the transmission valve body, which is expensive and hard to change.

The third problem is a "Treat the symptom only fix" which is to add a transmission cooler.
You know the accumulator controls how hard the transmission shifts? The other parts control WHEN the transmission shifts but the accumulator controls how hard it shifts. If you want it to shift harder you put in a stronger accumulator sping, If you want to be softer put in a weaker sping. Want it to shift really hard get the piston stuck.

Now if you ment to say the transmission was shifting at higher RPMs that is a different story. Oh and keeping the tranny cooler is always a good idea.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-17-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Gorn;645012]
Now if you ment to say the transmission was shifting at higher RPMs that is a different story. [QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I did not know the accumulator had that effect.

It is definitely a HARD shift. Almost like a broken transmission mount kind of shift, but it only does it when the transmission fluid is hot. I can drive on the freeway 8 times and it will only do it once in awhile. Usually it happens during the day with a little stop and go traffic

Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How an accumulator works is pretty simple. When the valve body or shift solenoid turns on the hydraulic fluid to the clutch pack it applies Line pressure to the clutch pack is almost instantly because the circuit is already filled with non-pressurized trans fluid. This would be about the same as side stepping a manual clutch if your RPMs are high enough to lock up the torque converter.

The accumulator piston is on the same hydraulic circuit as the clutch pack, the line pressure must push the spring loaded piston back and fill the accummlator which means it takes time to build pressure. The time it takes to build pressure causes a softer shift.
A very common upgrade to these transmissions is a Corvette accumulator and spring. It is pretty common on older transmission for the piston to stick hot. It may just need cleaned.

If I had a car with this I would service the trans and clean out the accumulator and maybe replace the spring. This is in no way a sure fix. If something is causing the Line pressure to go real high it will cause a similar problem. But I would do the cleaning first.

Check out You tube for Replacing or clean the 1-2 Accumulator in your trans.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear member

I believe Lubeguard products can help your situation, maybe not cute it completely.
I dont believe u need to R&R by any means. Also i dont think you need to swap trans fluid, and maybe you shouldn't. Swapping good unburnt trans fluid to new trans fluid can cause the friction between the steels and the clutches to slip due to there not being that friction material in the trans. That's why i recommend Lubeguard red or silver.
Also while your at it purchase a transsaver cooler. easy install. extends the life of the clutches, and more.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear member

If those things dont work then Gorn is right. Go ahead jack the camaro up. remove the drainpan carefully. Remove the valvebody and the 1-2 accumulator.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

I am from the past, Sorry Daryl.