This happened a lot sooner than I expected.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default This happened a lot sooner than I expected.

Ended up with another speeding ticket, this will make number two on my "visible"record. I've looked over the ticket and everything seems to be correct. The only discrepancy is he quotes me driving a Firebird, but on the title to the vehicle it states that it's a Pontiac Formulata. While I have heard of people getting off for mistakes on a ticket I don't think such a small error would really count. Even though my license isn't in jeopardy I'm planning on lawyering up to fight it, just wondered if you guys could possibly weigh in with some advice that could help me beat it. Just so you know, it was for doing 64 in a 45.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: This happened a lot sooner than I expected.

Is it really worth paying money for a lawyer?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i am pretty sure 3 speeding tickets w/in a year of eachother and u lose your license, for at least a year.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I never used a lawyer to fight a ticket yet. I have gotten off because the officer didn't show up. If he would have the wrong license plate number or color of car, that might work for you.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Ive heard your better off to fight a ticket rather than just take is, because at least if u fight it you could win meaning lower insurance down the road. My step mom drives like a damn lunatic in her BMW.. she got a ticket for doin almost 100 in a 60.. and its not the only time.. so our agency desides to up our premiums for fun... and i have to pay aswell since im on the same household.... Thats part of the reason i sold my car and stopped my insurance until august 16th (when ill be 18) and i can get liability and own my own car and not pay for her speeding tickets.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I believe they recently changed the law in NY so that the cop doesn't have to show up in court. The idea being that they have better things to do while on the clock.

I got a ticket in 2002 for doing 83 in a 65, paid my lawyer $400 and ended up with a ticket for "parking on the highway", whatever the hell that means. The way I see it, $400 wouldn't have come close to covering my insurance rate increase for 3.5 years, andcopping to 18mph over the limitwould haveadded a 6 point moving violationto my license.

Even if it cost you $600 at this point you'll be saving money.

As a side note, I've heard from my lawyer that judges DO know what a "parking on the highway" ticket means, and the more of them you have the less leniency you will see.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

It's been a while since I've had court supervision so I might try to do that. If they won't give that to me I just say hey, I'd like a trial by jury, and I'll be needing the records of when the cop was last trained on the use of a radar gun and when it was last calibrated. They may get a conviction, but I'm gonna make them work for it.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Ninja Administrator

i dont think u can get out for that. the firebird is the base platform. even a TA ws6 still falls under the firebird catagory