Few other questions on finishing up my H/C build

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
94z
1st Gear Member
Default Few other questions on finishing up my H/C build

I would like to start off thanking everyone who replied in my other post where I had a few questions about the top end. After calling the guy from advanced induction and learning that he will soon be going on vacation and the wait time would be around 8 weeks for a new set of heads I decided to build my own set up, here is what I decded to go with:

-Pair of heads from Trick Flow Specialties
195cc intake
75cc exhaust
62cc combustion chamber
2.020 intake valve
1.600 exhaust valve
Center bold valve cover mounts

-CC305 from COMP Cams
1500-5500 basic operating range
220/230 Intake/Exhaust duration @ 050
.510 lift with stock RR for both intake and exhaust
114 Lobe Seperation

-Proform Roller Rockers
1.6 Ratio
Full Roller
Aluminum
Self-Aligning

-PCMFORLESS.com
computer tune from these guys

Im having trouble finding a good pair of compatible pushrods and hydrualic roller lifters to go along with this package for a reasonable price. If anyone can post me a link for a decent pair Id appreciate it. Also wouldI needa pair of taller valvecovers? Im not sure if the stock ones would still be ok with these. IfiI will need new ones could anyone post me alink for them too?I havea hard time finding valve covers that will fit my car.Another question is with the 62cc combustion chamber what will my compression ratio look like? Also wouldI be able to use the stock lt1 head gaskets for these (my guess is not but I want to make sure)? Im also wondering howI can get the most money out of my old stock lt1 heads via ebay maybe or possibly a machine shop even?

Once I finish doing this to the top end I think I will have enough money left over to take it to a place to have them do the bottom end. My original plan was to do it all myself but some relatives in my family say that messing with the bottom end of a engine is something that takes some experiance and know how mainly in the timing area and getting it started the first time. What kind of prices will I be looking at to take it to a shop and have them do what ever is need to it? I want to keep the bottom stock for now anyway.

P.S. I know that this is a hard question to answer but can anyone give me a aprox guesstimate on the amoun of horse power i will see with this set up along with the mods listed in my sig? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Few other questions on finishing up my H/C build

Check out www.eportworks.com they do great work and they're another package deal kind of place.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i know lloyd elliots site is down right now, give me some time and i'll find his phone number for ya. and, the cc305 is a very mild cam that is comparable to the hotcam. with heads like that i'd look for a custom grind cam to go with your heads. second, i've heard bad things about proform rockers, i'd go with crane golds or comp pro mags. 3rd, if you want lifters, get ls7 lifters. i believe they are a gm part. you can get your stock valve covers honed out to fit the 1.6 rockers. okay, i have to get back to work, haha

Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Listen to these guys, they got some good advice. Don't get something because they appear well, dimension wise. Quality is a very important thing to remember. I'm not dissing any products,Im' only sayingsince you said you will have money left over to do the bottom end, why not opt for a strong, well reputable top end. There are other head porters besides Ai.

You can get mag pushrods from comp cams. I'm gonna put them in when I throw on my caddy racing lifters next week. I heard that the LS7 lifters have a different cup size on the top of the lifter and you may need different size pushrods to keep the geometry right. I have a pushrod measurer that I will use to check pushrod length in case these caddy lifters are different also.

To get the most out of your stock heads, I say take them out and leave them alone (considering you're gonna sell them). Most people are more interested in something completely stock vs something modified. If you talked to Ai, they may have told you that they prefer to work onheads that haven't been touched. That's what they told me and that may help you sell them on online.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

lloyd elliot might have a different site now. try www.elliottsportworks.com and his phone number is 972-617-5671. give him a call, tell him what you're looking for, and he'll be 100% honest with ya

Old 06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
94z
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all of the valuable replies, ill look into LE

Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

oh yeah, you're going to need valve springs. i'd recommend the crane kit, the number of it is 10308-1.