Engine swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Default Engine swaps

Hey whats going on. I have a 95 V6 3.4 automatic. I want to do two things and was wondering if it would work and if someone can tell me what to do and help me. I want to drop the motor and tranny in my camaro and put a 6spd and a Supra or Skyline engine in my camaro. If this isnt possible what would be a great motor to put in my camaro for speed? i want to drop the tranny no matter what i dont want a automatic anymore. But please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by Half_the_halfer; 11-29-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its a very large project. u will be changing computer, wireing harnesses and a host of other things. its not something i know a lot about but have read enough to know i would not want to do it. the cars are part spacific in many areas so if u change sertain parts u will need all the assoiated parts that are spacific to that car with that trany or motor. its not like the older cars were u cut a hole for the shifter and throw in a clutch peddle or just change motor mounts and its a go for a v8. that is not the case with these cars. do a search on this site and u will get some good info to read.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I know that it would be a big project. At the moment i dont have the money to covor the project that why im trying to do my home work and see what it would take and how much money it would take. I have numorus things i want to do with the car i want it to be completely customized to the point when ppl see it they are breathless

Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you want a Toyota or Nissan motor, you should go buy a Toyota or Nissan. The LS1 is your best bet, there swapped into RX7's all the time. But then again, your better off just buying an LS1 Camaro then swapping one in.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Half_the_halfer
Thanks for the info.

1: At the moment i dont have the money to covor the project that why im trying to do my home work and see what it would take and how much money it would take.

2: I have numorus things i want to do with the car i want it to be completely customized to the point when ppl see it they are breathless
In order to reach item #2 you will need a lot from item # 1

A: do you have the tools, facilities and knowledge to perform every aspect of the project? Or, will you need to have some or all done by others for $$$$ ?

B: what is most important to you, taking away people's breath or stomping on the gas and going like heck?

If you have your heart set on using a non-GM power train then you will be fabricating a lot of the items you will need. If you want the wow effect, think for a moment how that happens. You get the wow effect before you even open the hood so you could start doing body work on your ride and accomplish the goal.

If this vehicle is currently your daily driver then

budget in a new daily driver because the camaro will be off the road for a while. The period of time depends on how much $$$ you have. Money cures everything when it comes to cars.

To be honest, and I'll get flamed for this but I own both a stang and a 4th gen. The S197 body just looks better and when lowered and with a body kit, outclasses the camaro with respect to looks and wow factor.

If your heart is set on customizing a 4th gen, then sell your sixer and get a decent LS1 4th gen and start from there. If you never drove an Lt1 or LS1, then you should. The low end torque of my LT1 kills the stang and its low end. Frankly, I can't hook with 275's.

300-350HP is nothing to sneeze at and with a mild cam, and Long Tubes, you get a nice sound at idle.