engine locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Can you turn the motor over by hand? Use a socket on the front pulley. It should turn over with about 60-80 Ft\lbs of torque. If its a standard don't forget to take it out of gear.
If you can not turn the motor over by hand there is little chance it will be an easy fix. If you had no oil pressure that would explain why the fuel pump was not working. No oil pressure no fuel in a GM car.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
If you had no oil pressure that would explain why the fuel pump was not working. No oil pressure no fuel in a GM car.
Not quite so Gorn. The oil pressure switch/fuel pump supply is a fail-safe to keep the fuel pump running should the pump relay puke out. But, the oil switch will kill the fuel pump (with no pressure) if the pump relay isn't working.
Oh, and who were you talking to there?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-03-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by aldistuck
Thanks for the replies, I did find a company called Fliteline off of ebay motors and based out of arkansas that rebuilds engines and they sell the one for my camaro for like $1700.
It would take me some time to save that amount but its far more douable than the prices quoted me by the mechanic shop.

I'll see if I can find a salvage yard that knows something about there cars they have but for the most part the places Ive been to dont know anything or just dont care. They basically just expect you to figure out for yourself if what your buying is anygood.

If you had the money would you just buy a rebuild with all new parts or would you still go the salvage yard route?

I do plan to keep the engine thats locked up and maybe rebuild it overtime for a future replacement, that seems like a good idea to me for some reason. Gorn, I will check out the build thread I'm gonna need the help as its been many years since Ive done any major work on a car, but I cant afford and dont want to keep paying payments forever.

I dont think the place I bought the car from is gonna help me. I only have 3 payments left, its 11 years old sold as is, no interest payments and direct payments to the car lot.

The used engines sound good because of the price you guys have stated I could get them for, so I will see if I can find out what vehicles have this same engine and see what I can find.

Thanks alot.

Here is an idea, check this website. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market I have used them for several rebuild projects in the past. Got a 4.0v6 for my 03 Explorer from them for $450 and a trans for my 92 Camaro SS for $500. You cant go wrong with a used part, most of them will offer you at least a 90 day exchange warranty. Most all used parts will show their flaws before you get to the 90 day mark.

Additionally, might I suggest that if you are going to remove the engine to do a swap, take it out from the bottom. Removing the entire motor from the top side is an extreme hassle.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ta2mikep75
Here is an idea, check this website. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market I have used them for several rebuild projects in the past. Got a 4.0v6 for my 03 Explorer from them for $450 and a trans for my 92 Camaro SS for $500. You cant go wrong with a used part, most of them will offer you at least a 90 day exchange warranty. Most all used parts will show their flaws before you get to the 90 day mark.

Additionally, might I suggest that if you are going to remove the engine to do a swap, take it out from the bottom. Removing the entire motor from the top side is an extreme hassle.
Here is an idea, check the dates on posts before you reply to them.