Different Torque on brakes for regeared cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Different Torque on brakes for regeared cars

The basics- I have 4:11 gears, 18's in the rear, 17's up front, all disc brakes. My front calipers are sticking, to tight, ?, something.. Up on the lift my front tires barely spin. the rotors are toast, pads still good. Today I'm taking it apart, but I wonder if the difference in gearing, tire size, or something else is causing my problem. When i bought it the woman (who only owned it for a week- to much car for her) said she took it in and the brakes were good all around and they seemed to be. If they didn't know the gears were different could they have inadvertently over torqued the front? Does it even matter? Side Note- I had to swap the front tires last night because they decided to rotate them (fronts only) which made the rotation back wards Any inputs appreciated.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It just sounds like you calipers are in need of repair. Either the sliders or the piston itself is not allowing the caliper to release.
Your gears or even your HP should have no effect on your brakes unless you are putting the gas and brakes on at the same time.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I don't use both brake and gas at the same time anymore (tires cost to much, lol) I kind of was on the same thought line, but I wasn't sure about the gearing- a friend had a very persuasive reasoning on why the fronts would need less torquing than the rears- no less than required- Thinking back it doesn't make as much sense.. Thanks. I do wonder if they didn't over torque the fronts tho- especially after finding the tire on the wrong sides- I mean really there are arrows showing the rotation! I'm re spaying my calipers a diff color so i didn't do it yesterday, Again thanks.