cracked dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I found one for craigslist but i dont think its the right piece I am just going to try and fix it my self by tape and paint and sanding and elbow gresse

Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

hey look at what I found has anyone here bought this?
http://www.autoanything.com/dash-mat...0A3211586.aspx

It looks like a pretty good alternative to the carpet dash covers

Old 05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Guys seriously carpet belongs on the floor not the dash. I mean think about it who really wants to vacume their dash? Not to mention its just tacky ( no offense to anybody thats got carpet there ) . The upper dashpads from GM are insanely high ....$250 - 300 . I mean cmon its a big chunk of thin plastic! Flebay has them sure but chances are those are from a car just as old as what you all ready have so that means the plastic is just as old as well. The you have all the problems of taking the old one out and praying that you dont break the new/ used one your trying to put in. I had this same problem until I was told about a dash cover . The cover sits right over your exsisting dash pad takes about 10 - 15 minutes start to finish to install. It is vacume formed plastic ( same as gm's ).The cover like I said is simple to install and about half of the cost or less of one from the stealerships.

http://www.coverlaymfg.com/

Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

hey these cost way way more than the one that I suggested

Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

and the website i listed has these

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by noah3210
hey these cost way way more than the one that I suggested
Originally Posted by noah3210
and the website i listed has these

And if you would bother to actually read the website and pay attention you would have noticed the differnce. The site you listed is for a mat/carpet looking type of thing. The site I listed is for the actual upper dash cover made from abs plastic or as it says on the site .

" replacement dash covers and door panels are vacuum-molded from the original dash to give an original look and perfect fit. Made from thick, durable ABS plastic " ... taken from coverlays site .

" Crafted from super-soft simulated suede material, the Dash Designs Suede Dashboard Cover covers and protects your dashboard from the immanent fading and cracking caused by old age and harsh elements. "
above came from autoanything.

Yes the actual abs thick dash cover is more expensive but you are not throwing a piece of " super soft simulated suede material " over the dash either. The bottom line is go cheap if you want but end of the day you get what you pay for . Fix it where it looks like it should or throw some simulated cloth on there.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah I am taking the cheap way but a new dash on craigs runs about 150 and this dash cover I think looks pretty good I wish I could actually fix it but I cant right now

Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My dash is cracked too, even pieces breaking off, which made me nervous because the guy I bought the car from got arrested for odometer tampering. According to the detective however, mine was not messed with. In any event, I bought a dashmat, which costs about $50. It's the same color gray as the rest of my interior and has a little embroidered decal and my name over the airbag flap. The only thing that sucks is the glare from the dashmat (its carpet) off the windshield, but you get used to it.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried to avoid it but just didn't like the alternatives... so happy birthday Camaro, here's a new dash. Ouch; yes but it looks like brand new in front of me as i drive now! lol