convertible top BullS**T

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Default convertible top BullS**T

so, i just bought my 1997 convertible rs a week ago. and exactly a week to the day i was at the bank and ended up locking my keys in my car. since the car wasn't registered yet and i may/ or may not have had some "medication" (colorado and cali people know what i mean) in my car without my prescription i couldn't call the cops to have them open it. so i instead i ripped out the plexi back window on the convertible (trust me i wouldn't have done it if it wasn't my last option)

now i need to get it fixed before it rains, and i don't have money to fix it at all. i was wondering if someone on here would know what kind of adhisive i could use to put it back on (even if just temporarily).
(if anyone says duct tape im gonnna kick your *** lol)
please help!!!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1. "Medication", hmmmm.
2. Don't bother calling the cops when you lock yourself out. They no longer help to get into your car (not around here anyway).
3. Call a towing company instead. Some carry a mini air bag that they wedge between the top and side window, and slowly inflate it to pull the window away to give enough access to unlock the door.
4. Did you separate the back window from the top fabric, or cut out around it? Is it the hard or soft window? Depending on what's left to mount to, you might be able to hold it in with a silicone adhesive.
5. Learn a lesson from this, and at the very least use a hide-a-key with a spare door key for next time, if there ever is one.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Next time break a window. The windows are sealed in a 5 ton press under heat. Most convertible top places will not even bother to try to fix them. The top is changing size due to temps most silicone repairs will only be a temp fix. If it is a real hot sunny day it will be very temporary

My daughter separated my back window/top with an ice scraper on an almost new top. I took it in and was told the above info. I searched the internet and found tons of "fixes" none of them worked more then a month or two. Funny part is I spent more time/money trying to not replace the top then I spent replacing the top. If you do the top yourself it’s less then $300.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

To replace that window, it's better off replacing the entire panel that it's on. The 4th gen tops are in two pieces, and the windows are separately attached onto one of the bows in the back.

The downside is, you have to remove the bottom edge of the whole top to staple the new piece back into place.

In any case, this might be a good time to switch to a glass rear window.

If you need a reference, I have a top replacement sticky around here somewhere.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM

thank you , and apparently chicago folks know whats up too. i really wanna replace the top cuz its a white car with a tan top, and im not a girl. nuff said. that why i was looking for a quick fix. but if im gonna replace half of it i might as well go all the way. how difficult is it to change tops on your own.
(and i ripped it off the cloth. all the cloth is still intact, beside the bottom where it ripped horizontally from the window just hanging there)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 AM

could you give me a link to that sticky, i can't seem to find it

Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by bowtieguy92
could you give me a link to that sticky, i can't seem to find it
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/how-convertible-top-replacement-long-37312/