Clutch slipping? Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Clutch slipping? Tranny?

Ok guys need a little help with this one. I drive a 2000 Camaro with a T5 trans. I have done a little research on here about it but not much has fit the description of what my car is doing.

So after my car has been driven a little bit during the day, I start to get an issue where when I let off the clutch to accelerate (mainly from a stop in 1st), the whole car shudders. Depending on how aggressive I accelerate and what not depends on how violently it shakes. I know it isn't that I'm not giving it enough gas because it is only after the car has been driven around a little during the day (in the beginning of the day/when the car is cold I don't have this issue).

I want to think it is just an old clutch because I don't believe it has been change in it's 105,XXX mi lifetime but my dad doesn't seem to think so. My tranny is a little leaky so he thinks it is the lack of transmission fluid but I don't see how that could cause this type of shuddering. I am going to try to get a video of it to help out with the description.

Thanks for the help guys.

Here is a good video of what is happening (neither are my car):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQluNgMwBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIZF...eature=related

Last edited by the jank; 09-13-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: add videos
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well if a manual shutters like you described it would be the whole tranny coming loose from the bell house but whay you described sound just like a clutch in it last few days of operation. If the chatter get bad enough it will damage the trans.

Metal gears can't really cause a shuttering. They can make all kinds of noises but it is just gears on a shaft to do anything that you would feel it would have to jump a tooth. Manuals do not have the clearance to jump a tooth unless the whole thing is coming a part.

If its as bad as you describe it all needs pulled a part anyway. Once the tranny is out you can check by hand.

Edit:
Your posting generic videos of clutch chatter and saying this is what my car is doing and your asking us what wrong with the Car?

Last edited by Gorn; 09-14-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Well if a manual shutters like you described it would be the whole tranny coming loose from the bell house but whay you described sound just like a clutch in it last few days of operation. If the chatter get bad enough it will damage the trans.

Metal gears can't really cause a shuttering. They can make all kinds of noises but it is just gears on a shaft to do anything that you would feel it would have to jump a tooth. Manuals do not have the clearance to jump a tooth unless the whole thing is coming a part.

If its as bad as you describe it all needs pulled a part anyway. Once the tranny is out you can check by hand.

Edit:
Your posting generic videos of clutch chatter and saying this is what my car is doing and your asking us what wrong with the Car?
Yes. I just searched "clutch slipping" in youtube and found these and copied the links in. The videos didn't have anything to say about the issue. Just an example.

But thanks for the help/advice.