changing shocks running into one problem after another-help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

actually I think the front is listed as a modified McPherson strut. it uses a shock like design that utilizes strut components.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

^
PLZ READ! 4th gens DONT HAVE STRUTS!!! - LS1TECH

Checked your blinker fluid lately?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-20-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

so far this is the hardest thing i`ve done on the car, and im not out the woods yet. i put it back together and the two bolts that go through the car and into the shock mount go in up to a point then spin out. any advice?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member

^ Are you using OEM or aftermarket shock mounts? New or reusing existing? So no problems with the bolts in the mounts, but the bolts going into the mounts from the engine bay never tighten and just keep spinning? If so, sounds like you may need a different mount...

It's always better to use a photo and draw an arrow on it to reduce confusion.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
^
PLZ READ! 4th gens DONT HAVE STRUTS!!! - LS1TECH

Checked your blinker fluid lately?
I hate to tell you you can argue all you want and post what you want but gm calls that a modified McPherson strut. If you go to the dealer it will be listed as a STRUT got to gm parts direct and you will see. Since they built the car ill let them tell me what its called. Does it use a conventional shock and lower control arm and mount yes. but it also used a strut like upper half with and additional control arm. this is why its called a modified design.

i can tell you this much it doesn't look like the shock on the front end of my 69 corvette or my 06 f350. neither one of them have spring or upper bucked attached to them.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Overdrive Member

^ Nowhere in the GM Service Manual is "McPherson" even once, and the nowhere are they specifically called out as "struts"...

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
^ Nowhere in the GM Service Manual is "McPherson" even once, and the nowhere are they specifically called out as "struts"...
well i dont have acress to a GM service manual and i never claimed the service manual did.. i believe hayes manual calls it a strut. Gm parts direct calls it a strut the gm service department calls it a strut. advanced has it listed a as a shock/strut.

so let me ask you this how many stocks have you mounted into cars that use one of these

Buy Monroe Strut-Mate Mounting Kit 902948 at Advance Auto Parts

Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is getting real close to turning into a pissing contest, let's not go there. Adam, in the true sense of what a "strut" is, the 4th gen Camaro doesn't have em. A strut is a "support" part for the upper half of the suspension. Your cars are self supporting (upper and lower arms), with essentially a coil-over shock holding the front up. The term is misused, I spose because at quick glance it "resembles" a strut. No reason for either of you guys to get your nose out of joint about it, really. I can think of a number of auto terms that are used incorrectly, for instance flywheel instead of flexplate. Another one is using "freeze plug" instead of casting plug. Even though you can find them by name, the name and implication is wrong. Carry on.....nicely!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

LOL -- we all know how accurate Haynes and Chilton can be with certain details. So now they along with Advance Auto are the benchmarks?

I would stick with OEM mounts -- I and others have had a number of problems with aftermarket mounts. Gabriel is one to stay away from -- had multiple fail.

As a joke, go phone Sam Strano and ask him if he sells struts and strut mounts for 4th Gens... Be sure to post back here for all to enjoy what he says...
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog

Originally Posted by Adam9066
well i dont have acress to a GM service manual and i never claimed the service manual did.. i believe hayes manual calls it a strut. Gm parts direct calls it a strut the gm service department calls it a strut. advanced has it listed a as a shock/strut.

so let me ask you this how many stocks have you mounted into cars that use one of these

Buy Monroe Strut-Mate Mounting Kit 902948 at Advance Auto Parts

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-21-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

let it go liberty,,,if the nut keeps turning then the nut or the bolt is stripped. if the bolt is you will probly need a new upper strut/shock mount. by the way i call em struts so thats what they are to me. you could try adding a washer to it and see if you get good threads.

Last edited by craby; 06-22-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: fixed

Quick Reply: changing shocks running into one problem after another-help!