Camaro savings

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2Z's
Youre OBVIOUSLY young and not in any position to buy any kind of old car that would need any work done to it. Keep what you have and dont worry about buying a Camaro until youre set a little bit better financially. Take the money youre saving and open an IRA, youll be light years ahead....
You're very right I am young, but I don't really see anything wrong with saving up the extra money, there's all kinds of young people who save up for cars that are ideal to them. Goal setting is a very good skill to have and, I feel as though saving up for a car is a lot more productive then say saving up for the latest gaming system or something. As for the IRA, I can't really say I've thought in to retirement recently, and I don't know a lot on how they work, but I suppose it's never to early to start thinking about it....

Last edited by Ryan is bored; 07-14-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
My first car was a new 55 Chevy V8. Glad they don't make them like that anymore. lol

Maintenance intervals

1000 miles:
oil change; however it didn't come with an oil filter, brake adjustment
10,000 miles:
wheel alignment, new brake shoes, cut drums, points, plugs, condenser, rotor, fuel filter, adjust carb
20,000 miles:
tires, shocks, antifreeze, change transmission & rear end lube, new exhaust
50,000 miles:
rebuild engine, new clutch
60,000 check for body rust
100,000 drive car to junk yard, get paid $50 if it is still running.

100k miles and to the junk yard??? You must have lived in areas where they did not use road salt because 100k cars were rare in New England. We used bumper jacks and I remember on more than one occasion cars about 5 years old having the bumper rip off because of rot when trying to change a tire.

I can't recall the name but when growing up there was this national chain which did undercoating which was basically tar or something they sprayed everywhere and it did jack squat. When I got my first car it had that stuff underneath it and you would need to scrape it off to get to things

Old 07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
100k miles and to the junk yard??? You must have lived in areas where they did not use road salt because 100k cars were rare in New England. We used bumper jacks and I remember on more than one occasion cars about 5 years old having the bumper rip off because of rot when trying to change a tire.

I can't recall the name but when growing up there was this national chain which did undercoating which was basically tar or something they sprayed everywhere and it did jack squat. When I got my first car it had that stuff underneath it and you would need to scrape it off to get to things

Ziebart and Polyglycoat were the names of the popular ones.