Camaro Car Theft Impossible by Most?...

Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Camaro Car Theft Impossible by Most?...

Hi, I own a V-6 1993 Cherry Red Camaro auto. trans. in San Diego, CA home of a lot of Camaros and other American muscle cars/hot rods

I was told by a friend who knows a lot about cars, that his Firebird is pretty much Car Theft-Proof, and so is The Camaro, & the Camaro's more expensive sister, The Corvette.

This locksmith said these cars need a special code in order to fire up.

There is a "Car Tracking Service" called "Real Track GPS DOT COM" Which basically u pay $179 for the Unit & $18 when and if your car is stolen.

My friend told me that for his hondas & accords, he'd need a Real Track Gps which is like LoJack to trace & find stolen cars, BUT...

But he wouldn't need one for his Firebird,

He told me "dude I change my mind, since you own 1 of the 3 cars like I do a Pontiac Firebird, A Camaro or A vette, you won't need this anti-theft tracking system. Save urself $179!"

He also said that the only people who could get codes work in the locksmith field and that it wouldn't be worth it for them to risk their livelihood and career & their freedom & get a felony and prison time for a 93 Camaro no matter how mint a shape it's in.

Any thoughts?

I'd like to not spend $179 if I can, but I DO LIVE in the Grand Theft Auto Capitol of the U.S.---California

Any constructive advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Oh. by the way, I forgot to add that I have the original "Club" Tm that's sold at O'Reilly's. I got the thickest one. That should be enough. The Camaro/Firebird/Corvette key ignition system seem to all require codes and cannot be hot wired, rendering them theft-proof except by Camaro dealers or locksmiths, both of whom would not risk stealing an older model Camaro like mine, right? Anyone else know if I'm right in not buying a LoJack type system? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 AM
4th Gear Member

Even though ign key comes with a chip for VATS, a simple hidden toggle switch for starter relay power works great.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, yours has more of a deterrent with the VATS system (key with resistor). But thieves can still steal your car if they want it. They might move on to an easier target, but all it takes a thief to have is all of the 15 different resistor valued key blanks, and just a little bit of time for trial and error. The key tumbler in the column can be broken and forced to turn (there's a handy tool for that), and having the correct key in the tumbler once it can turn will start the car. You don't think professional car thieves have all the right "tools of the trade"? Think again, your car is not theft proof. What your car has is designed to thwart the amateur smash and grab thief.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

lol...no car is theft proof if they really want they will take it. i can be in a camaro and have it running in less then a min even if i dont know which of the keys it is. fyi the "club" does nothing it takes no time to cut through a steering wheel and remove it. nothing and i mean nothing is theft proof

Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most real car thiefs use roll backs and tow trucks. Once the car is back at your shop it just takes a little time to over come the factory system. I know of at least two roll backs that have been stolen for dealerships I worked for and both time the cops said it is most likely car theifs, they want trucks they can abandon if they are stopped.

No car is un-stealable. But I think your 93-3.4 is safe. Most car theifs part cars out. While they can still get decent money parting out a 02 SS they are not going to risk Jail time for what they can get for the parts off your car. All you need to stop is kids joy riding, just don't leave your keys in your car you should be good. No pros are looking for your car.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-04-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Most real car thiefs use roll backs and tow trucks. Once the car is back at your shop it just takes a little time to over come the factory system. I know of at least two roll backs that have been stolen for dealerships I worked for and both time the cops said it is most likely car theifs, they want trucks they can abandon if they are stopped.

No car is un-stealable. But I think your 93-3.4 is safe. Most car theifs part cars out. While they can still get decent money parting out a 02 SS they are not going to risk Jail time for what they can get for the parts off your car. All you need to stop is kids joy riding, just don't leave your keys in your car you should be good. No pros are looking for your car.
Thank you so much this is excellent advice & also what my freelance/backyard mechanic suggested, too.

I'm on a tight budget/fixed income & this real helps

I sincerely hope your beloved Camaro lasts forever until you want to get another bigger or better Camaro

Thanks again

Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks again everyone for your great well-informed advice I've decided against buying the real track unit for $180 and then paying $18 when and God forbid if,, it is stolen.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the club is a great device for breaking those pesky steering wheel locks. Gives the thief way more leverage.

And they don't have to cut the club, only the steering wheel. A quick cut on one side of the club and off it comes.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by belairbrian
the club is a great device for breaking those pesky steering wheel locks. Gives the thief way more leverage.

And they don't have to cut the club, only the steering wheel. A quick cut on one side of the club and off it comes.
THANKS BEL AIR,

I think what I will do is invest $179

there's always an idiot who would love to joy ride a cherry red Camaro especially one like I have with no body damage & racing decals including NHRA & Holley Manifold decals & a Camaro Windshield banner.

once the car is stolen God forbid) I'll just pay $10 & the cops will find it for me

peace of mind is priceless

Although, not only do i have a Club but I have the 7 pointed California Highway Patrol Car DECAL near the passenger & driver side windows. I have 2 of them. They're small enough to not look dorky, yet large enough to be seen

So any thief might....and MIGHT is the operative word, think that my Camaro either belongs to a Chippie (chp officer) or a retired one.

either way, he again, MIGHT think twice about stealing or attempting to steal a car that could be confused as belonging to a member of a gun-holding law enforcement officer.

thanx again