Brakes and rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Brakes and rotors.

I did my rear brakes and rotors today. This was the first time I have ever changed brakes and rotors on a car.

I had a hard time with the calipers. I could not get them to open up wide enough to fit the caliper/pads onto the rotor. I opened it up as much as I coult using one of those caliper opener tools. It got to the point where it wouldnt turn anymore. Still it wasnt opened wide enough. Am I doing something wrong? The caliper is old and honestly I dont know how to tell if it is bad, but I think it might be.

If the caliper is old/bad, could this be why it wont open up all the way? Or do I need to use like a c-clamp instead of caliper opener tool? Or do I just need to put more force into it when turning the tool? Took me forever trying to figure out why it wouldnt have enough space for rotor.

I took both bolts off to release the caliper. Then I undid the top bracket bolt to release top end to get caliper tool in place over piston. I couldnt reach other bolt to undo it. It was bloacked by some metal plates or something. Was I supposed to undo that one too? If so how?

Also, a couple of my studs are messed up. How hard is it to replace the studs on the rear axle?? Would it be easlier to take it in to a shop for them to do?

Since I couldnt get the brake pads to fit I just left the new inner pads on and placed the old outter pads back in. The old pads still have plenty of life in them, and were shaved enough from nornal wear that they fit well with the rotor. The car seems to be breaking well so far. But I would like to know if I did this right, or how to do it better next time.

Thanks!

Last edited by MartineZ28; 06-05-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

Did you unscrew the brake fluid cover? If you didn't, you won't be apply to compress the caliper all the way. I did mine with a clamp, took very little effort for me to push the piston back far enough for the new pads to slide in.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yep, you gotta either remove the reservoir cover, or open the bleeder on the caliper to displace the fluid.
The wheel studs can get pounded out with a hammer. To install a new one, slide it in from the back and turn it till you feel the splines grab the hub. Wind a lug nut on, tapered end out, with a little oil on the flat end. Crank the nut in until the stud stops drawing out, you'll feel the resistance. After the first time back out with the car, double check the torque on the lug nuts in case the new stud set itself in any more.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Did you unscrew the brake fluid cover? If you didn't, you won't be apply to compress the caliper all the way. I did mine with a clamp, took very little effort for me to push the piston back far enough for the new pads to slide in.
Yeah, I took the brake fluid cap off before pushing in pistons. Was still very hard on both sides. Think I just need new calipers.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The studs could not just be pounded off. I had to take it to a shop. They said that the anti lock thing was in the way from pounding them out. They had to take apart the rear wheel differential thingy to get the anti lock things off to have room to knock them out. 2 hours and $200 later, they did both sides and replaced a total of 6 bad studs. 2 on the left side and 4 on the right side.

Oh and also. The guy at the shop told me I was having problems pushing the pistons in the calipers because the calipers need a certain tool that twists it back in. I dont know how true this is, and why my camaro is different from other peoples. =\

In this pic you can see the big square thing and the little rotor behind it with teeth. Not enough space to knock them out.

Last edited by MartineZ28; 06-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats traction control and abs. so heres another thing that cant be done easily with traction control. woh a special tool for the caliper,,, i always use a c clamp. lol. thats not a crab clamp.