Body Control Module Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Wow that's awesome just fix my car with the info u directed me to and that worked great. Thx u so much, radio and windows working great no issues at all now. Saved me mad money for a simple fix.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Default Thank you!!

Originally Posted by Massey
For those of us who own 98-02 Camaros, we all have a BCM that can cause us some issues. Here are the common failures and how to fix it with one simple step.

Windows work only when they want to.
RAP works only when it wants to.
Radio turns off at random, sometimes not comming back on at all.
When radio goes out you lose your power windows too.
RAP does not work at all.

Now these are just a few but most common issues that happen. The problem is usually the BCM and it is a relay on the BCM's board.

The BCM is located behind the glove box and it is in a plastic cradle. It has 3 plugs going into it. Remove it from under the dash and carefuly pry the case open.

Once open you should see a circuit board. Turn if over to its printed side and see if there are cracks in the solder joints of the large relay. (see image below red circle)

Even if you cant see any cracks you may still have some.

I have a 40W iron that I used to reflow the joints. I used the high wattage iron so I could get in and out fast without over heating the board up.

Reflow the joints on the 5 pins circled in black on the image below and reassemble.

Hope this helps anyone who has been having these same issues. There may be other issues that this fix will fix. Also other failures can cause windows not to work and the radio too so if this does not fix your issues then something else is the matter.

Massey
This is absolutely awesome! Thank you! I have been trying to figure this out for too long. I am looking forward to getting my radio, windows and hopefully my convertable top working again! God bless!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Hey my camaro has been doing the radio and window thing for awhile but just yesterday my keyless entry stopped working. In addition when i close the door after turing the car off with the doors unlocked I go to open the door again and the alarm goes off. But when I do go to lock the door I get a chime like the seat belt chime or key still in ignition. But on the second press of the button it locks. I pulled the bcm and the second terminal on that picture has a crack all around the solder. Can that cause all these problems are is there something else for the keyless entry alarm bs. Thanks for the help very frustrated right now.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM

so i got the bcm out but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the board...im posting a pic of mines...maybe someone can pinpoint the problem...

Last edited by Rocketray; 03-05-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketray
so i got the bcm out but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the board...im posting a pic of mines...maybe someone can pinpoint the problem...
pics are on my page...tell me what you think

Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Rocketray,
I don't see your pics but when I did the board on mine, you could not really see anything wrong with the connections, but refluxing them fixed the radio, windows, clock, etc. and was really easy. I practiced refluxing a little on an old pc board. With a hot soldering iron, it takes just a few seconds to melt the old solder and add just a LITTLE new one to make sure you get a good contact. If worse comes to worse and you mess it up, you can get a replacement BCM from a pull your own part place for about $15-20 but that should not be needed with a little care. It just takes a little nerve to work on the board with all of those circuits close together. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

cant tell from the picture, to fuzzy so cant blow up to see. get the magnifying glass out and have a close look or do like ^^^ says and reflow the recommended connections.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM

In my case my board was burnt on the actual board. So i went to the junkyard and purchased one but it was from a remote entry, power window etc...and mines is manual. After installing the problem i was trying to fix which was the radio, had worked ! My new problem would be getting the car to start...???

Took that one out put original back in starts but service engine light is now on...???

Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thank you for your post.
this picture was very helpful. i own a 97 camaro z28 and i had the same problems with my radio shutting off and my windows not rolling down when this happened. this picture helped me with the parts that needed soldered. thank you again it was a really easy repair and saved me a lot of money.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM

What's the computer by steering column on 96 z28? Thought its bcm but think im wrong

Quick Reply: Body Control Module Repair