Body Control Module Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Overdrive Member

Same place, behind the glove box.

Massey

Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Overdrive Member

Fox, thanks for the additions to the thread.

Thanks
Massey

Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know if a similar repair can be made to the ABS control module? I really don't wanna buy a new one those things are crazy expensive.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Overdrive Member

If a relay or other component has broken free of the ABS logic board then yes a similar repair can be done. Aside from visually inspecting the ABS unit I would not have a clue as to where to start. Components like that are usually non servicable and need to be replaced when they fail.

Massey

Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Thanks to you guys. My 97 was doing this and driving me crazy. Seemed like every bump in the road or smack on the dash would make the radio and windows work or not work. Half the time the radio would shut off as soon as the key was turned off, so I figured it must be in the RAP. Found this yesterday and did it on my lunch hour. I did leave some flesh up under the dash, but not the first of my DNA I've left on her in the last 14 years. So far so good, the radio has not cut out at all and stays on until I open the door. Now I just need to fix the other window problems, driver side is slow and the passenger side tends to stick when it moves at all.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I seem to have the same problem with a '96 -- radio windows go out intermittently. Does anyone happen to know when they started using this BCM approach? I don't think my '94 had this.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Overdrive Member

96 has a very similar BCM and it does have the same relay that breaks free of the main board. The main difference in the 96/97 BCM over the rest is the auto headlights. Not available in 96 and optional in 97 and standard in 98+ as best as I can remember. Follow my directions and you will be able to fix the BCM. The first one I ever repaired was out of a 96.

Massey

Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 AM

Wow great info, just bought the same problem in my 96 lol. Can't wait to do this this weekend. Will post and let u know. Thx again just what I was looking for.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My son and I took out the BCM on our '96. It does take a little patience getting to it and then being rough taking it out, but then the repair is pretty simple soldering. A hot iron, a dab of solder, and a reasonably steady hand takes care of it. Replaced the BCM, and it works like it should. Great! BTW, I later found a used BCM at my local pull your own part place for about $25. Some folks might like to have one of these in hand to give them an alternative to the soldering, although I would be inclined to resolder the used one before even installing it.

Also, if you are not used to soldering such things, you might have an old board from a PC lying around that you can practice on. I did this when I had to remove and then solder in the speed sensors on my Avalanche's dash - a lot more delicate than the BCM.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Massey
96 has a very similar BCM and it does have the same relay that breaks free of the main board. The main difference in the 96/97 BCM over the rest is the auto headlights. Not available in 96 and optional in 97 and standard in 98+ as best as I can remember. Follow my directions and you will be able to fix the BCM. The first one I ever repaired was out of a 96.

Massey
is this your Camaro or just a random pic?

Quick Reply: Body Control Module Repair