Any issues to address while installing headers on LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Default Any issues to address while installing headers on LT1?

Hey all. As most of you have probably already seen, I am in the process of purchasing a '97 SS w/ 34k miles. One of the first things I plan to do is finish the exhaust. Currently has SLP 2OTL and SLP CAI. As I learn more about the LT1 and the cramped engine bay, are there any other things I should address while doing the header install? I am reading that the headers are very close to the spark plugs. Would it be wise to replace the plugs while doing the headers? Do any of you LT1 guys have suggestions on any other things that should be addressed/assessed/replaced while doing the headers?

Thanks

Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, cam, heads, intake,,,, ok so maybe that can wait. depending on headers you will need an extension for at least one 02 sensor. pick up some new 02 sensors to install after the headers have been broke in. coating on inside headers burning off usually ruins the 02s. good set of plug wires and looms to keep them clear of the headers. insulation blankie for the starter to keep it from getting to hot. heat will ruin in short order. i would recommend ceramic coating the headers.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by craby
lol, cam, heads, intake,,,, ok so maybe that can wait. depending on headers you will need an extension for at least one 02 sensor. pick up some new 02 sensors to install after the headers have been broke in. coating on inside headers burning off usually ruins the 02s. good set of plug wires and looms to keep them clear of the headers. insulation blankie for the starter to keep it from getting to hot. heat will ruin in short order. i would recommend ceramic coating the headers.
Yes, I plan on doing the plugs and wires during the install. And yes, numerous people have recommended ceramic coated headers. Just out of curiosity, what does a decent heads/cam setup cost?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

three links, 1st is lloyd elliotts, he is one of the best p&p man in the country. 2nd is solomon, he is probably the best mail tune man for the lt1. 3rd is sam strano, the best 4th gen suspension man in the country.

http://elliottsportworks.com
LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Search

Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by craby
three links, 1st is lloyd elliotts, he is one of the best p&p man in the country. 2nd is solomon, he is probably the best mail tune man for the lt1. 3rd is sam strano, the best 4th gen suspension man in the country.

http://elliottsportworks.com
LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Search
Thanks for the info!