Accelerating Issues When Pressing Gas

Old 09-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Default Accelerating Issues When Pressing Gas

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time locating my TPS on my 6 cylinder 2001 camaro. I've looked up videos and pictures but to no avail can I find it. Perhaps I'm blind but any kind of guidance would be appreciated. I just recently replaced my transmission in the car while being told by another mechanic that it's the reason its slipping when accelerating.... come to find out that wasn't the case after replacing it. I'm having the exact same issue as before. This is a direct quote from some where earlier but it pertains to my exact situation. Any help is appreciated.

No acceleration or RPM increase while pressing gas pedal
asked by Alexandra B on May 24, 2016Hello. My car has difficulty accelerating. There is a loss of power when I try to increase speed. I tried to press the gas pedal all the way, but there is no changes in RPM or acceleration. I had the filters replaced. It would sometimes run normally if I release the gas pedal and press it again. What could be the problem? Thank you.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You have a drive by wire car, Your TPS is part of the throttle control system.

TPS could cause the transmission to shift a little funny but not slip. Since your car is DBW if there was any issue with the TPS your car would go into low power mode. I have seen a lot of failed TPS but I have never heard of one effecting the trans without any lights being one. In fact there is nothing outside of the transmission that can cause the trans to slip. Transmission slippage is normally caused by low pressure or a defective torque converter on a non-worn out transmission that is.

FYI on a DBW car the computer issues a command to open the throttle 25%, the TPS confirms the throttle opened 25%. If at any point the Command and the result do not match,,, Low power mode, Your dash will light up and car will barely go 55 MPH with no where near enough power to slip the trans.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-08-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:48 PM

Thanks for your reply! Yea It doesn't slip so I worded that wrong. It stays really low when hitting the gas and sometimes accelerates more when I let go of the gas and press again. It's having a hard time being consistent when driving. It doesn't slip at all. Thanks for the feed back.