ABS 4 channel rear wheel sensor for 96

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 09:03 AM
Red face ABS 4 channel rear wheel sensor for 96

Hi Everyone

My "famaro" (Camaro family) is looking for a rare as heck part. Its a rear wheel speed sensor for a 1996 Z28 that came with traction control. While there are several aftermarket types claiming to work they are not correct for cars that have the NW9 RPO code. A car with this system will also have an ASR button below the cigarette lighter. OEM part number would be 10456182. These are found in said cars from 93-97 (98 to 2002 I think is different)

I bet I am likely not the first person looking for this either, BUT if you have found anywhere online that stocks used / (or NOS) these - please let me know. I've tried Rick's, ebay, and even some overseas places (which then turned into a scam.)

So where the internet online ordering has failed to help find the part in the past - perhaps someone here can help me with new places to look - oldschool - like in person?

In 2 weeks I am taking my pickup on a trip across the northern US (starting in Washington State) and driving to the east coast. Does anyone know of a Autowrecker, specialty part store, camaro guru that I could pop by in person to investigate? Meaning no paypal, internet stranger stuff - I mean I show up cash in hand and a handshake? I'm game to take more than the sensor too if you want to package deal - and also willing to remove myself. (I don't travel without a good tool box and my 3 ton jack)

Any leads would be amazing! I'll add some pics below of the part. Thank you all in advance!!

Old 07-13-2024, 04:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this is the only thing I could find that looked close to what you showed
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/199...-channel-used/DARD MOTOR PRODUCTS ALS317

Last edited by craby; 07-13-2024 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2024, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by craby
this is the only thing I could find that looked close to what you showed
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/199...-channel-used/DARD MOTOR PRODUCTS ALS317
Thanks so much - it does look the same I'll check if it will work from a new model since it says from a 98 on.

Old 07-14-2024, 10:55 AM

Damn, I thought I knew everything about these camaros......guess not. Good information!!

Old 07-14-2024, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by PHX LT1
Damn, I thought I knew everything about these camaros......guess not. Good information!!
Ya its really obscure and not all V8 cars had it. I only found all of this by researching for the past couple years off and on. GM stopped making the parts in like 2001, after market only did a short run and then it too went away. Surprising such a popular collectable car such as these would have the manufacturer walk away from any type of brake parts in general.

Old 07-14-2024, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by camaro-famaro
Ya its really obscure and not all V8 cars had it. I only found all of this by researching for the past couple years off and on. GM stopped making the parts in like 2001, after market only did a short run and then it too went away. Surprising such a popular collectable car such as these would have the manufacturer walk away from any type of brake parts in general.
Well, good thing you came to the right place for your search. These sites have helped me plenty of times and Mr Craby helped me find a part I wasn't familiar with too. Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have bought off Hawk before they are local for me. They sell a lot of Fbody stuff and they have a big GM performance junk yard. I got my aftermarket shifter and around the building and got a GTO gas tank all it the same trip.

Old Today, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have bought off Hawk before they are local for me. They sell a lot of Fbody stuff and they have a big GM performance junk yard. I got my aftermarket shifter and around the building and got a GTO gas tank all it the same trip.
Lucky you! We dont have anything in Phoenix......not that I know of anyway.

I've been wrong before.

Old Today, 11:49 AM

Thanks for all the replys. Yes Hawks look like a great company to buy from. I did some checking on their part with my brother (hes a red seal mechanic) who thinks the 98-02 parts might not fit right as there were some body changes from 97 to 98 and the part for 98 has a metal mounting bracket and the 96 mount part is all plastic with a metal collar. Since these are a press fit too - the wrong size (circumference) to press them in could make or break these and there are no measurements of the ones on Hawks. So I called Hawks support line to ask them if they have seen the 98-02 ones fit a 96 before. But I spent 45 min on hold with no response. I'll have to call when they are not so busy.
  • * To that end - has anyone used the 98 sensors before in thier pre 98 car? any problems?
  • * And if I buy one from Hawks - and it wont fit - are there returns? Only asking as $150 for a chance I buy a paperweight (to me) seems pretty steep.
Still going for my trip across the Northern States in 2 weeks - if anyone knows a good wrecker to check out on my way please let me know!

Old Today, 12:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it measures out the same in size and ohms it should work.