99 camaro full resto- potential engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Default 99 camaro full resto- potential engines?

Hey everybody- i recently inherited a 99 camaro standard model with rebuilt 2000 3800II engine from my best friend who passed away. I plan to do a complete restoration/ custom rebuild to keep it forever as my weekend car as homage to him.
All i want is to put a badass old school muscle car rumbling engine, thats relatively easy to work on- maybe 500hp but a torque monster is top priority, and and the best suspension possible.
Anybody have ideas for the best possible engine-susp. combos i can do? I'm even open to putting in new ls2 type engines, and maybe boring the engine- as long as i have that old school monster rumble roar to match its loud subs.
Im looking to spend around 6000 for the engine itself...

I'd love to hear any opinions from anyone thats done 4th gen complete resto- to hear about general total prices or any custom mods- like putting in wider wheel bases- since its gonna be a complete resto anyways...

thanks guys

Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the best thing would be to build a 3.8 and put it in it. these cars (4th gen) are motor and trany specific, sooo to change to a v8 it will take another camaro with a v8 in it to use as a donor. the suspension, computer, wiring, under the hood and dash, trany, rearend, driveshaft and a few sensors and such are different. the 3.8 can put out some serious hp, musicman has some great times with his, but then he is goin all out now. darling reject is also working on one with some good hp. not so in depth as musicmans.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showt...ighlight=music
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/sofies-official-engine-rebuild-thread-51944/

Last edited by craby; 01-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Here we go... first post and the normal I have a V6 and want a carbed V8.

OK Welcome to the forums, we are full of it here... It being information... I would seriously reconsider putting old school in these cars. There is simply not enough room to play with the engine under the dash. Also why lose the reliability and easy power you can get from a modern engine.

If you want to put a V8 in the car then buy a WHOLE other car as a doner. This is very important... Check out the V6-V8 swap thread in the V6 section for more details on this. I was part of the conversion from a 1996 V6 to a 2000 LS1. Being from the old and new generation car just about everything had to be stripped from the 96 and I do mean everything and the parts from the 2000 took their place. The only parts of the 96 aside from the body that were not moved in the swap were the seats, carpet, and headliner. Since you have a 99 you already have the proper nose for the LS1 engine, and things like the console, heater box, and a few other parts are going to be the same (if you go with an LS1 engine) If you are hell bend on going old school then good luck to you... We have seen prolly 100 people say they are going to do this and only 1 actually succeeded, and it took him alot of time and more money than if he went FI.

I own a 99 3800 Series II (see my sig) and I love it. yea it does not have the power my wife's Z had but I find my car is more fun to cruise around in. It is quiet (stock exhaust) smooth (no engine vibrations) and it gets great mileage. Music Man has done some radical things to his 3800 and Darling Reject just went mild on hers. Both have turned out great. Do some research, you may just want to keep the 3.8L after you find what it takes to swap engines.

Or... do what I plan on doing, I am going to modify my suspension and braking systems in my car to give me handling like I am on rails. My goal is not to be the fastest in the 1320 but to be able to out handle the big engine cars on the autocross.

Massey

Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Massey, you just stole my reply...

Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

i'm liking the thinking of putting an LS2 in? YTou'd still need engine and box, but if rear end is a posi it might be ok for a while. Or get a 12 bolt or something. You'd need the full ecu loom from the LS2 doner car and probably need to do some pin by pin rewiring of the dash gauges etc.

It's really admirable that you are keeping the car as homage to your pal. As Craby says you could use the V6 and turbo it or something if you like, or drop in an LS1 but you need to transfer everything over.