'97 Camaro RS repairs and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs down Bleh

Had to cancel the order for the side skirt. It was "Pending" for the past week and I just got in contact with them now about it. They say it was pending because they were waiting to get in touch with me about the color of the skirt, saying it was only going to come in black since it is unpainted urethane. Why I went for an entire week with no contact from them whatsoever is beyond me, but I had to cancel it anyway . Computer crashed and motherboard needs replacing. Once that's taken care of, I'll finish the LED conversion in the instrument gauges, dashboard, and dome lights. I currently installed LEDs in the cluster and it looks SICK against the existing red lights installed under the dash and in the rear view mirror. Once everything's in, I'll get to posting some pics

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

UPDATES!!!

Sorry it's been a while, but I've had a bit going on that wasn't accounted for (The f-in' guy Murphy just can't leave me alone). In a bittersweet moment, I'm going to be getting a nice sum of cash from Geico (Around $700) for an accident I was involved in about a month ago. Long story short, some crotchety old woman decided it would be a good idea to back her husband's Mercedes into my door, then tell the insurance company it was my fault. Yes officer, I used my telekinetic powers to forcibly drag my car into her bumper. You figured me out...

Not a lot of damage, mainly visual, but still bothersome. So I was thinking of a couple of things here:

1) Get those suspension upgrades (STB and new sway bars front/back), then put the rest away

2) Get new exhaust tips, mine are just plain pipes with a hole in the tip for some reason. Can anyone recommend something for the pipes coming out of the exhaust (Keep in mind it is a dual-pipe magnaflow, most likely 2.5 or 3-inch)?

3) Take the money and actually get the damage repaired

4) Put it all away for now and use it to go to Disney

Suggestions?

Last edited by DDRDiesel; 05-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get the door fixed.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

MORE UPDATES!!! The check finally came in today (I really shouldn't say finally, because it was only sent three days ago), and I'll be getting quite a few things to add onto the car and finally make it presentable on the forums. Once I get the parts, I am going to start a thread in the "Projects" section and get as many pictures as possible of everything I've done so far, and everything I'm going to be doing. I seriously put a lot of thought into getting the door fixed and the paint matched, but realized a few things:

1) The damage to the door is barely noticeable unless you look for it close up

2) The paint will match the car, but will still look off due to the age of the paint on the rest of the car. If I'm going to get a paint job, might as well do it all in one shot.

3) The damage done from the accident is not affecting anything mechanical, and is merely anything more than aesthetic

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM
4th Gear Member

I agree with Craby, get the door fixed. There's no point in painting a car if it's got dents in it. If you're going to do something, do it right the first time. How bad is it? Can it be pulled out? Also, if you are having a shop do the paint job, more than likely they'll make you have them fix the dent/scratch before they agree to paint.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I agree with Craby, get the door fixed. There's no point in painting a car if it's got dents in it. If you're going to do something, do it right the first time. How bad is it? Can it be pulled out? Also, if you are having a shop do the paint job, more than likely they'll make you have them fix the dent/scratch before they agree to paint.
No dents, that's the beauty of it. Welcome to New York, where you can get tapped and scratched, then get paid $700 in the process

Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Post up a picture of the door for us to see. From what you describe, it sounds like paint damage and not actual body damage.
Maybe she just traded paint with you and all or most of it could get buffed out......maybe.
Oh, and your doors don't dent. They're plastic, so they crack.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the best picture I can get for now. I'm waiting for the yard work to get done so I can finally get the car cleaned (I don't like taking it to the car wash, rather do it myself). Once it's clean I'll post better pictures:

Name:  2012-04-19_17-01-37_666.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  43.7 KB

You can see that there's barely any damage, just a bit of paint-trading. I'll eventually do the whole car myself, I've been looking up how to do the job yourself for cheap online, might be a good weekend warrior project for me

Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pull the door panel to see if it did any unseen damage. looks like it flexed in and went back into position.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Everything seems to be in working order. Window is in perfect shape, motor works just as good as ever, no cracks anywhere that I can see, at least