'97 Camaro RS repairs and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation '97 Camaro RS repairs and upgrades

Hello, dear friends! I've recently purchased a '97 Camaro RS (3800) from a friend of mine, and I was thinking about finally getting under the hood and making some modifications. I've already got a CAI on the engine (Pictures will be up soon), and I'm already considering re-working that one and making a new custom-designed CAI. I've considered turbo already, then realized after much research that there is NO WAY I know enough about engines and cars to go that far. Also, I read the entire thread from MusicMan's build, and realized that the turbo would simply embarrass me after destroying my engine halfway down my block. So here's what I've got so far:

1) Cold Air Intake: I already swapped out the stock intake (Anyone with a 3800 knows how kinked-up and restricted the stock intake is) and installed a 3" aluminum CAI with a Spectre conical filter. What I eventually want to do is upgrade that to a 3.5" system, as that is the size of the intake on the throttle body, which leads me to my next question:

2) Throttle Body. I measured the current throttle body intake at 3.5" and am thinking about swapping it out. The screen on the intake looks like it has been through the fires of Mordor and back, not to mention the TB itself sticks out at an awkward angle which makes fabricating a custom CAI to just the right angle/position a huge pain in my ***. My question is this: What brand should I go for when shopping for a new throttle body? I'm not looking for a racing-grade throttle body, but I want to put some extra horsepower into the car as well. Also, please keep in mind that the intake would have to be 3.5" for the new CAI that will eventually go in

3) Exhaust system. I've been mulling this one over for quite a while now, as the car already has a custom exhaust and glasspack installed (Makes for quite the nice rumble. Not too loud, but not exactly a whisperer, either!). I'd like to know if going True Duals would give me any significant performance boost (And yes, I've read the thread from SpecterGT260 regarding basic mods). Also, I was curious to know if there were any seasoned exhaust vets on this forum that could offer a lowly n00b such as myself some information on how I would go about switching from a dual-pipe muffler to a True Duals exhaust system. Would new headers be necessary? If so, do you have any recommendations? As I have said in the past, I am a complete n00b (Trust me, I don't wear it like a badge of honor) and would like to break into the car world one piece at a time

4) Wheels. This isn't really a question asking for advice, but rather a matter of opinion. I was trolling on TireRack and found these beauties:
Phantom wheels for Chevy Camaro. I've been doing mainly cosmetic work on the car for now (Pictures will come later), and I think these will compliment the work I've done nicely

5) Body kit/Side skirt. As far as I know, the body kit on this car is stock, and I can't find a damn replacement anywhere. I was actually kind of hoping that someone on here could point me in the right direction of what I need. What I'm looking for is a right/passenger side body kit/ground effects skirt as a replacement for one that got ripped off (Prior to me owning the vehicle). The only part number I can find on the skirt is '055' and Googling for hours has gotten me nowhere. I'll include whatever pictures your little hearts desire, including the only print I can find on the damn thing

6) Breather Filter. I've seen posts about these everywhere, but nothing explaining what I need to know. So far, I understand that they help by eliminating any vacuums in the engine by allowing air to circulate freely. That's about all I know. I've seen builds that include a breather filter, but it looks like they were installed where the oil fill cap is. If I were to install a breather filter, am I correct in thinking that's where it should go? Also, how would it be installed, as the oil fill cap is a male fitting, and the breather filter is female. Would an adapter be needed to install the breather filter? Also, what size would you guys recommend for this engine, and would a tube be needed to go from the oil fill hole to the breather filter?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated, as well as advice on anything else to add/modify

Last edited by DDRDiesel; 03-29-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would look at the suspension, brakes, tires and wheels to start with. shocks are a big part of how the car rides and handles so quality shocks is a must. could go with some z28 sway bars and a shock tower brace. sounds like you have the bolt ons short of headers.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, so here is the image from the inside of that side skirt:
Name:  2012-03-29_18-07-24_665.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  136.5 KB

As you can see, the only real visible text says, "Made in Canada by PolyRim/Magna" with the number '055' right above it. This has done NOTHING for me in terms of finding a replacement.

Now onto the CAI:
Name:  2012-03-29_18-23-16_926.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  131.1 KB

A dirty job, I know, but it works. Sounds great, but doesn't really do it for me in the aesthetics department. I know that right angles should be avoided, but I want to come out of that TB with a wider sweeping elbow instead of the clusterf**k that's in there now.

Moving on, I give you the Throttle Body:
Name:  2012-03-29_18-23-33_0.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  2012-03-29_18-23-41_285.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  143.6 KB

As I have explained in my previous post, I would like to find a replacement, if not buy a new one that will fit better and give me a straighter angle going into the intake elbow/manifold. I feel that if I could make it straighter, I could put that wide sweep from the CAI into the TB, giving me a cleaner-looking engine bay, and possibly increase performance/sound quality. The biggest problem with this is find a TB that can accommodate all of the existing sensors and electronics you see covering the one already there.

And finally, the issue of the side skirt. I took a couple of pictures to show you what it actually looks like on the car, and what the passenger side looks like now that it's been sheared off :
Name:  2012-03-29_18-26-56_804.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  2012-03-29_18-27-05_417.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  2012-03-29_18-26-33_829.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  119.0 KB

Anything you can come up with would be AMAZING, as I've hit the proverbial brick wall too many times to count

P.S.: Told you I'd have pictures eventually

Last edited by DDRDiesel; 03-29-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your production codes, should be in the glove box or center console or door jam. it looks like a rs kit from the factory. the production codes are in the how to and faq sticky at the top of the 4th gen general section. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...o-codes-50977/

Last edited by craby; 03-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
4th Gear Member

I'll skip 1 & 2 because personally it looks nicer than the one on my Z. Only thing I could suggest is maybe going to your local Advance and get a pipe that's more angled for the intake. I know we sell three different angled pipes from Spectre. 30*, 45*, and 90*

3) There won't be any performance gain for going true duels since the exhaust from the cat back is plenty for the 4th gens. It'll make the exhaust note different and that's about it.

4) I like 'em.

5) Side skirt you could find at a salvage yard...maybe ebay.

6)I honestly have no clue.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check your production codes, should be in the glove box or center console or door jam. it looks like a rs kit from the factory. the production codes are in the how to and faq sticky at the top of the 4th gen general section. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...o-codes-50977/
Thanks for that list, I was lost trying to find some parts considering those codes are hard to come by without being model numbers or other forum posts. I came across this site that had EXACTLY what I needed:
F MOLDINGS/BODY (RS)(Y3F);. Fits: 1997 Chevrolet Camaro 2 DR | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick. Now, you go off and pay the prices that they're asking for. That's insanity. I found a front spoiler (The same one in this picture, so it must me stock) on number1gmparts for less than 10% of that price. I'll eventually end up buying a new front spoiler anyway, but I'd rather have the side one for now, and of course number1gmparts doesn't have it in their listing

Edit: Of course, now I find what I need from number1gmparts, and guess what? It's the wrong damn side! But for $300 cheaper, at least it's a start...

Link for reference: 1997 CHEVROLET CAMARO Parts -

Last edited by DDRDiesel; 03-29-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Overdrive Member

Why are you double posting here & V6 section? A mod should combine the threads...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd actually like to close the other thread eventually, I meant to do it the other day but got sidetracked. Could a mod please close the thread I opened in the other forum?

Link:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...-repair-68158/

Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope we want you to suffer for it. lol. i think we can just let it die. combining would not flow well. i wont post in it if you dont.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
I wont post in it if you don't.
TEAMWORK!

Anywho, I think I found a cheap solution to my stock kit woes. Apparently there's a company that fabricates aftermarket body kits, and one of their kits looks like a direct replacement for the stock kit, at less than a quarter of the price:
890076R - - 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro F-1 Right Side Skirt

Kudos goes to TorqueWrench for posting the name of the kit he bought in the "Post pics of your 4th gen" thread

Even better, they have a full kit that looks like it could serve as a stock replacement for a mere $600:
890078 - - 1993-1997 Chevrolet Camaro F-1 4pc. Complete Kit

Now, if it just comes in white, I could have a beautiful replaced body kit by the end of April

Quick Reply: '97 Camaro RS repairs and upgrades