96 Camaro won't run

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Default 96 Camaro won't run

I have recently acquired a 1996 Camaro v6 3.8L with an automatic transmission(unfortunately) for a very good price. The problem is that it didn't start. Because it started with starting fluid that is the first thing that we checked and noticed that the pump was not working, or so we thought. We wired the pump directly and it worked meaning that for some reason or another when the relay was in the pump was not getting power, and it was not the relay because we have a new one. The pump died a few days ago, the car had been sitting a long time and the pump was loud anyway, so we changed it today and now I am back to wondering why it does not have power. On top of that when we do have the pump running the car starts on the first try but only manages to stay on for a few moments before turning off again. I think this might have something to do with the VATS system because the old owner tried to install a separate security system so the wires are all thrown under the steering column. I have tried everything I could think of to get it working with no luck. I was hoping one of you experienced owners out there could help me out.

Much thanks I really want to get it started and on the road.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you had it scanned for trouble codes? may be multiple issues. sounds like you bought someones project mistake. so picking up a factory service manual would be a very good idea. look like this and your yr is a two book set. this set is kinda spendy but will let you know what they look like. got mine for 20 bucks,93 is a one book set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=360309323449

Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 PM

I did not scan it for codes, but I might go and get a code reader and read them. I am finding out how the car is supposed to work online and I might go get a manual, but I want to know if anyone has experienced this and knows what the problem could be.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ignition switch, key cylinder, bad wire or connector. body control modual has been known to do weird stuff. you can have the vats program removed from you system by a tuner or bypass it with a resister if you think thats it. if he had the column apart and messed with the wiring i would follow his path can redo everything. thats why i was saying get the manual, its got wiring schematics and testing procedures for everything, the factory service are way better than the manuals that cover a bunch of yrs.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 PM

I don't think the had the actual column apart, just the wires under the steering wheel. Would you be able to just scan the wiring diagrams? That is very pricey and I do not have that kind of money for it now.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do a search on the net, you can get access to allot of them (for a certain amount of time) over the net for cheap.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 PM

Alright, thanks. I have been searching but I will keep looking. Hopefully someone else can chime in with some idea of what to do.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM

No I didn't try that. I want to try any free sources before resorting to that. Because I am still a broke college student and I don't want it to turn out not even being a wiring problem after I spend money.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hmmm... old fuel pump died, eh? And it only starts with starting fluid... hmmm.
Does it sound like it's starving itself for fuel, or does it shut off cleanly?

Check/change your fuel filter and dump a pile of fuel stabilizer in it. This new ethanol crap gums up everything FAST.