94 Camaro 3.4l wont pass Emissions in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM

Maybe ten miles since inspection and no they didn't say anything about driving a certain distance

Old 03-19-2017, 06:43 PM
4th Gear Member

you need to after you get it on the road drive it like 500 miles then take it back ,mabey less but that should do it,a good shop should tell you that if you replace all those things the gas cap more then likely,? why did you replace the spark plugs twice,if it dont pass then my advice is take it to a shop to find the problem couse you replaced alot of things there ,but i am almost willing to bet the cap is it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-19-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM

at first i had iridium IX in there, after discussing it with the guys at my shop we decided to go back to OE plugs. The Iridiums burn hotter but shorter and the OE's burn long but cooler. We were hoping the longer burn would get the rest of the gas in the cylinder but it didnt work.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should have sent your injectors in for cleaning and flow testing. could shine a little light on the issue and is same or cheaper than new. just had mine done for the 3.8 and after tax and shipping it cost a little less than 25 bucks each, two had to be replaced with rebuilt ones they had in stock. sent them in the mail, three days later i had em back.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That is a lot of parts to fail around the same time. I have never replaces that many sensors on any car and for 3 years all I did was work on fuel injection for 8 hours a day.

Your system should not show everything good and not pass emission. What part of emission are failing? High Hydro Carbons? Carbon Monoxide? As a general rule some parts are common for high Hydro Carbons and Some are high Carbon Monoxide you seem to be replacing both?

If you have access to a scanner that will let you see your Long term and short term fuel trim it would help a lot, For possible fuel injector issue you should be able to read the plugs. Injectors don't fail in large groups. Normally one or two injectors will drip or stop working. This will show on a plug specific either lean or rich. Then just move the injectors and see if the issue follows.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-19-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i put your two threads together in the 4th gen general section for you. welcome.

Last edited by craby; 03-19-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM

This car was in terrible shape when I got it. Parts were missing, random wires were cut. I bought the thing for under a grand. When I started trouble shooting I noticed almost all the sensor were shooting bad. It was worrisome at first but after a cold beer and a cigarette I kicked it in gear and started going through wiring diagrams. About 8 hours later there was no other explanation aside from the sensors being bad. Later I found that two of my injectors were pretty much stuck open and fouled almost every rmmision part in the car. The catalytic was just the wrong one, it belonged to an S10 so I got that swapped. After all the sensors I started researching the emissions system as a whole. Coming from the East coast I never had to deal with it so I knew very little about it. I found d some Info online about the vapor canister and it sounded like the last part I needed as the current problem I was having matched to the t. Sometime tomorrow the rest of my parts should be in and I can finish restoring the emissions system. Hopefully all goes well and I'm just worrying for no reason.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 PM

First it was high CO. Now it's high HG. Hopefully the vapor canister resolves that.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have not seen a vapor canister cause a lean condition. In theory I don't see how it could. Your car has a short term and long term fuel trim. This is your PCM learning how to run your car. If the issues have been around for awhile it will need to relearn to run correctly.

All those bad sensor, new O2 sensor and still no codes and it won't pass emission. Something is wrong. The fact you have had too lean and too rich from an external tester and no codes is indication you may have a PCM issue.

The way the system works is the O2 sensor watch the oxygen levels at all times. The O2 can sensor rich/lean almost as accurately as the shop tester. If it read rich or lean it adds and removes fuel. If it can not add or remove enough fuel (like your dripping injectors) it will set a code.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Gorn;718554]I have not seen a vapor canister cause a lean condition. In theory I don't see how it could. Your car has a short term and long term fuel trim. This is your PCM learning how to run your car. If the issues have been around for awhile it will need to relearn to run correctly.

Its a rich condition according to the machine.

Quick Reply: 94 Camaro 3.4l wont pass Emissions in Cali