94 Camaro 3.4l wont pass Emissions in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Default 94 Camaro 3.4l wont pass Emissions in Cali

So I recently bought a 94 Camaro with the 3.4l.... I know.... it wont pass smog in Cali, there is a strong smell of fuel coming out of the exhaust. Any help is appreciated.
Parts Replaced
1. Spark Plugs (twice)
2. Coolant Temp Sensor
3. Gas Cap
4. O2 Sensor (both)
5. EGR (Cleaned not R2)
6. Catalytic Converter
7. Map Sensor
8. Fuel Filter
Parts on the way
1. Fuel Injectors
2. Vapor Cainster
3. Vap Controller

Like I said any thoughts are appreciated, I have gone through the details over and over and i cant see what I may have missed.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are posting in the wrong area. This is for welcome threads, you should be posting in the tech section or the V6 section of the 4th gen area. Most guys don't even look here.

Just a quick FYI the process you are do is called throwing parts at a problem. To me its like having a math problem and just shouting out numbers and hoping you get it right. By asking for our help all you are going to get it people saying their cars failed emissions once and it was X. Another guess. You have a nice long list of parts up there although I don't see air temp, you need to realize that any wire going to any one of those sensor can cause the same problems as a bad sensor.

Your PCM has an onboard diagnostic system. Step one is to figure out what circuit(s) is the problem. This take a little thought because you need to figure out if a circuit is reading out of spec because it is the problem or because that reading is the result of a different problem. Step one: Is the system even getting into closed loop?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:30 PM

I have trouble shot all electrical systems and everything is within tolerance. The ECM isn't throwing any codes either. None of these parts were thrown at it, I did the work to see if they were bad to start, they all were. All sensor have been replaced, I think I forgot to add the air temp sensor in my list but it was replaced as well.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Default 94 Camaro 3.4l wont pass Emissions in Cali

So I recently bought a 94 Camaro with the 3.4l.... I know.... it wont pass smog in Cali, there is a strong smell of fuel coming out of the exhaust. Any help is appreciated.
Parts Replaced
1. Spark Plugs (twice)
2. Coolant Temp Sensor
3. Gas Cap
4. O2 Sensor (both)
5. EGR (Cleaned not R2)
6. Catalytic Converter
7. Map Sensor
8. Fuel Filter
9. Air Temp Sensor

Parts on the way
1. Fuel Injectors
2. Vapor Cainster
3. Vap Controller

I have trouble shot all electrical systems and everything is within tolerance. The ECM isn't throwing any codes either. None of these parts were thrown at it, I did the work to see if they were bad to start, they all were.
Like I said any thoughts are appreciated, I have gone through the details over and over and i cant see what I may have missed.

Last edited by Thomas O'Connell; 03-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Calli is the worst ,you would think that they could tell you what the problem is gas cap battery ,no codes ,looks like you did alot to get it ready ,i know nothing about cali Emissions other then all cali cars come from the factory with stricter Emission control ,then all the other 51 states ,air temp Sencor on the way ? does that meen you did not replace that yet, sounds like that could be it,mabey you need to drive it 500 miles or up to after replaceing the gas cap an some other things is my only thought ,i have had like my battery an gas cap fail emissions drive it for like 100 to 500 miles its a pain one time i had to bring it 3 times before it said pass it was like ready then pass took like 500+ miles ,an it will say failed then say ready i was like ok then ready should meen pass no ,you need to drive it another 200 miles then it should say pass was stupid but now i know what it meens ,then say pass but can take up too 500 miles to pass,hear they give you a one time 60 day white sticker had it happen to 2 cars ,its unreal ,that my 95 needs nothing anymore though but 96 an newer need it,so that could be it, just drive it then take it back after 200 miles or more if you just changed those things could be it why its failing,then with cali emission something else

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-19-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM

I replaced the air temp sensor, i should have spaced my list a little more. I have gone to great lengths for this car and it makes me hate cali more than i already do.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
4th Gear Member

???the miles thing how many have you drove it since the cap was replaced ,dont they give you a clue of what it may be,an a temp sticker

Old 03-19-2017, 06:00 PM

It's got 303000 miles on it and I can't get it registered to drive right now so not much driving. Smog check didn't tell me anything except that it has too much gas fumes in the exhaust.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM

No temp sticker either. I'm going to try to get a 30 day tag for it on tuesday

Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 PM
4th Gear Member

. how long have you drove it since replaceing the cap was the ? 300.000 that could be it ,i told you the gas cap can fail you until driven for so many miles like 500 +,was the battery unhooked resently ,it could also do it or some of the other parts ,so how many mile have you drove it since you went for inspection ,they did not tell you to drive it for so many mile then come back,you need to drive it like 500 miles then take it back short of everything you did it should then pass,unless it is something else

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-19-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 94 Camaro 3.4l wont pass Emissions in Cali