3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Brendon
That's a really nice ride man. The insurance is expensive with a V8, like you said was outrageous.; but $200 for that? Wow, that is a really good deal, plus it's right where I am when it comes to price for the most part as well. Thanks.
I'm thinking he means a MONTH! I'm in my 30's and pay around $600/year for my '97 Z. State Farm discounts for the months you don't drive it. Basically knock it down to comprehensive when it sits in the garage Nov-April.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

you should not allow "insureance" choose your car for you. if you do youll soon be driving ,say a KIA sorento and hating every bland mile.go for a UNMOLESTED 3rd gen i would say

Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
I would say get a decent shape V6 now, drive it for a few years, then if you still like Camaros, step up to a really nice V8.
^^^this

Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks I get a lot of compliments, Yea I think a v6 would be a good idea for a teenager and yes for insurance I meant a month ! But the original plan for my car was drive it for a year or two then put a ls1 in it (thought it would be simple). So now I am saving money and me and my dad are going to restore a 70-73 camaro.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks I get a lot of compliments, Yea I think a v6 would be a good idea for a teenager and yes for insurance I meant a month ! But the original plan for my car was drive it for a year or two then put a ls1 in it (thought it would be simple). So now I am saving money and me and my dad are going to restore a 70-73 camaro.

I'm thinking he means a MONTH! I'm in my 30's and pay around $600/year for my '97 Z. State Farm discounts for the months you don't drive it. Basically knock it down to comprehensive when it sits in the garage Nov-April.
Yes a month and that's from allstate. Most teens can only afford one car so I imagine he will drive this car daily unless there's snow on the ground.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
I would say get a decent shape V6 now, drive it for a few years, then if you still like Camaros, step up to a really nice V8.
That's what I was thinking about trying to do.

Originally Posted by hooknladder
Not a bad idea, but I think we have Geico so I don't really know if they offer that, I'll have to look into it though.

Originally Posted by rusty vango
you should not allow "insureance" choose your car for you. if you do youll soon be driving ,say a KIA sorento and hating every bland mile.go for a UNMOLESTED 3rd gen i would say
Haha, you're so right man. It's pretty pathetic how expensive insurance is for new drivers, especially males because they're at a "higher risk" or whatever.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Something people havent mentioned is commute. Will this car be your daily driver? If so I think the V6 is the better route to go. If not then the V8 would be the better option. I have a 4th gen V6 because I am still in school and use it as my daily driver. No its no V8 but the power on it is not bad either. Someone said it earlier in this thread but take your time and don't bite on the first one you come across.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3rd gen most deff it's better looking then the fourth and I would go v6 just for gas milage

Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Nartfitch
3rd gen most deff it's better looking then the fourth and I would go v6 just for gas milage
I would avoid the 3rd gen V6. Maybe is because I rebuilt so many of them but we had a lot of 2.8 and 3.1 failure back when these cars where under warranty. I can not imagine they have gotten better with age.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by AMP3D
Something people havent mentioned is commute. Will this car be your daily driver? If so I think the V6 is the better route to go. If not then the V8 would be the better option. I have a 4th gen V6 because I am still in school and use it as my daily driver. No its no V8 but the power on it is not bad either. Someone said it earlier in this thread but take your time and don't bite on the first one you come across.
Yeah, it will be used as a daily driver for sure.

Originally Posted by Nartfitch
I don't really know which I like better. I found a 3rd gen online that I liked a lot because it was clean and it was nicer than many of the ones their type and it looked mean too. Although 4th gens do look more classy.

Originally Posted by Gorn
I would avoid the 3rd gen V6. Maybe is because I rebuilt so many of them but we had a lot of 2.8 and 3.1 failure back when these cars where under warranty. I can not imagine they have gotten better with age.
Thanks man. I don't want anything that I am going to have to throw a lot of money in to either.

Quick Reply: 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?