3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?

I was looking online, and for my first car I was thinking about buying myself a third or fourth generation Camaro. I don't know if I should get a V6 or a V8, but I definitely would prefer a manual transmission (already familiar with manual), and a V8 would most likely be much higher on insurance.

What do you think about a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro as a first car?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Fourth because it will be more "safe". A 3.8l wouldn't be bad I suppose, but if you aren't an idiot, a V8 is loads more fun.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Guitar
Fourth because it will be more "safe". A 3.8l wouldn't be bad I suppose, but if you aren't an idiot, a V8 is loads more fun.
I would definitely like to have a V8 4th gen, but I am imagining insurance would be outrageous with it.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My '87 IROC was my first car. I love it dearly and I'm looking forward to driving it again, even with the '02 SS in my driveway now.

That said, your first car should be one you won't miss if you lose it. Buy whatever's cheap and passes inspections, drive it 'till it dies, then buy your Camaro. You'll have that much more money saved up to get a better one

I'm not sure how car insurance might be different in the US as compared to Canada, but it actually costs less for me to insure my V8 Camaros than it did to insure the 4-cylinder Cobalts I drove over the last two years.

Call up a couple insurance companies, ask 'em for a quote. Since you're probably in the 16-20 range, you might be wiser to get on your parents' policy, if they'll let you.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think a V6 4th gen would make a great first car. It will be a sweet ride, and for a young, inexperienced driver, it will be much easier to handle than a V8.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You want to check with your insurance company. Seem that everyone is say the V8's are not that pricey to insurance. My insurance agent quote says it is a huge differents. My daughter is high risk because to two at fault claims. To insure my 93 Z is 3X the rate of the V6. In PA everyone in the house is insured to drive all the cars even if they are not the primary driver.

If you are avoiding Z's the 90-92 305 TBI 5-speeds are nice cars and I would look at the 96-02 3800 5-speed. Either way you should get a trusted mechanic to check it out before you buy. These are old cars we are talking about. How they have been maintained it more important then how great their original design was. You could find a 02 with 90K on it and it be a complete basket case and 90 with 175K that is in amazing shape. Its all up to how all the previous owners treated it.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
My '87 IROC was my first car. I love it dearly and I'm looking forward to driving it again, even with the '02 SS in my driveway now.

That said, your first car should be one you won't miss if you lose it. Buy whatever's cheap and passes inspections, drive it 'till it dies, then buy your Camaro. You'll have that much more money saved up to get a better one

I'm not sure how car insurance might be different in the US as compared to Canada, but it actually costs less for me to insure my V8 Camaros than it did to insure the 4-cylinder Cobalts I drove over the last two years.

Call up a couple insurance companies, ask 'em for a quote. Since you're probably in the 16-20 range, you might be wiser to get on your parents' policy, if they'll let you.
Okay, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by WIspartan1026
I think a V6 4th gen would make a great first car. It will be a sweet ride, and for a young, inexperienced driver, it will be much easier to handle than a V8.
I was already leaning towards a V6 for that same reason, plus insurance.

Originally Posted by Gorn
You want to check with your insurance company. Seem that everyone is say the V8's are not that pricey to insurance. My insurance agent quote says it is a huge differents. My daughter is high risk because to two at fault claims. To insure my 93 Z is 3X the rate of the V6. In PA everyone in the house is insured to drive all the cars even if they are not the primary driver.

If you are avoiding Z's the 90-92 305 TBI 5-speeds are nice cars and I would look at the 96-02 3800 5-speed. Either way you should get a trusted mechanic to check it out before you buy. These are old cars we are talking about. How they have been maintained it more important then how great their original design was. You could find a 02 with 90K on it and it be a complete basket case and 90 with 175K that is in amazing shape. Its all up to how all the previous owners treated it.
Thank you. I don't understand why some people just don't take care of their stuff to begin with, lol.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member

A V6 in a 4th gen Camaro spoils it because it's missing the party piece. Z28/SS or bust.

It all depends on the insurance company you have. I'm 17 and my policy went up $20 a month after upgrading from a beat to crap 98 Mercury Sable with twice the mileage.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ahh insurance... Buy a "sleeper" and save the extra cash you would shell out in insurance. When I started driving in '95, my family had a Lumina sedan with the 3.4 twin dual cam V6. I surprised a few 6 banger "sports cars" with it. Bonneville SSEI's are fun too. 4 doors buys you cheaper insurance. Here in PA, my '97 Z28 costs more to insure than my NEW Grand Cherokee. I have had no claims or tickets in 11 years. Full coverage isn't much more than liability or comprehensive. I had an '89 IROC Z when I was just out of high school. It went down the road because of the insurance rates.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

upgrading from my 4 door mercury mystique I payed an extra 20 a month for my v6 camaro. I think they charge $10 per door lost :P bust after a few months my parents said my insurance dropped to $100. At the moment, my plan is to drive my v6 until it completely dies (or someones offers me a good price for it) and then after I have the money saved up, Ill be looking into a v8. Another thing to consider is school. I don't know your grade etc., but I am going into a college and as a freshman i can't have a car. So its gonna be sitting at home and the insurance will activate when I call them so I can drive it on weekends. The cool thing about this.. its only $96 for 6 months ^.^ The best advice I can probably give you however, do not rush your first car purchase. Look at every. single. detail. And don't think "Oh, i can fix that!" Because for half the stuff I said about that with my camaro, I haven't been able to fix. I dunno if this helps, but my next purchase I plan on getting a carfax, emissions slip, and have 2 mechanics plus my dad and I check it out. THis way, I will hopefully avoid another $2200 repair bill within the first 2 months

Quick Reply: 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro - Good First Car?