82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Time to swap engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Time to swap engines

Hey all I have a 1990 RS that I'm pulling the V6 out of & installing a earlier two piece rear main seal383 normally aspirated ( has carb)stroker. Pleaseread the questions & advise what you can. If you know of things I need to do don't hesitate to throw that into the reply.

I'm sure I'll have to do something with the ECU to block getting the check engine soon lamp. Is there such a thing as dummy sensors to put in place so the computer doesn't know there's a problem?

Which manual should I get to find the bestwiring schematics for all that stuff. It needs to be cheap but complete

I'd like to keep my cruise control if possible, along with all the dash gage indications for oil, temp & charging.

Will a radiator from a Z28 with a V8 engine be enough to cool the motor.

Is this going to be a real hassle, or can it be done.

What is the best source for doing such a change.

Thanks in advance for your help & advise. I will check them all out. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. Hopefully I can post pix of the whole thing as I go.

CCar

Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Time to swap engines

It's not too bad to do. Are you planning on tuned port? Do you have to deal with emmisions? Resisitors do exist to fake out the ECU, but I always thought it was more fun to have evrything functional. What are your cams your looking at? 87 and up blockshave roller lifters, a two piece isn't but conversions are out there. If you have no emmisions you could always cop out like I did and put a carb on top. I really regret putting the carb on top. FI is the best way to go.
A Z28 radiator should be enough unless you go high on the hp.
TPI setups are on ebay all the time.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Norris,
I hadn't planned on using the engine in this project but its jsut turned out this way. It is two piece rear main seal block 4 bolt main 350 with the 383 stroker conversion. It was jsut completed a few months ago & is sporting a airgap intake with a Holley750 CFM double pumper. The cam is a 480 lift 287 adv duration w/231 @ .050. Roller rockers at 1.6 ratio, setup to be int he 10 to 1 ratio compression. It is supposed to be able to produce 450 H.P at the crank in its current configuration. But I'd be satisfied with 400,,,, maybe

As for emmisions I need to check withthe local inspection station. I hope to do that on Saturday if time permits. I'm sure there are things that need to pass in that area. In a couple more years it will be a classic & won't need to pass a sniff test.

To go fuel injected I'd need to find an ECU for a V8 from a 1990 RS right? How would it handle the need for more fuel to the higher commpersion higher horse power engine. I'm not real savy when it comes to fuel injection. I'm old school Heck even the electronic ignition has me scratching my head. But I can/will learn

Where do I find the dummy sensors to fake out the ECU in the car now? Remember its a V6 not a V8.

Thanks for your help & advice.
CCar

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That sounds like a fun motor.
The RS cars were only throttle body so an RS computer setup would only work for that.
Z28s are TPI (a better setup for power)
The county I'm going to school in the emmisions go back to 1975, so find out what's up before you rip anything out.
The more fuel issue wouldrequire a bigger pump, which pump goes back to what style of injection. The dummy sensors depend on which sensors, you just have to find what the resistance the sensors operate at and get the pieces that are at that resistance.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:44 PM

hey just put the motor in OLD SCHOOL no cpu needed just gas and spark. the fuel pressure needs to be regulated. your sensors will all still hook up [ temp ,oil;ect,,] run carb not tpi. and it will be fine. I am doing the same swap again. good luck tas,,

Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay, I went & talked with the local inspector I use. He said it will have to pass the sniff test, but it doesn't matter if it's carburated or fuel injected. I also have been reading the chevythunder.com site on fuel injection setups for conversion's to earlier model car's. That's one cool site, it has ton's of information & tips. I'll buy some of the books suggested to get up to speed on doing the swap should I decide to. FI seems to make sense in you get more power from your engine just because. Its more complicated than carb'ed but may be worth the trouble. I've just beenvasilating on mass air flow or speed density. MAF is more forgiving to engine changes such as component wear & up to 10 to 15 % in modification. What happens after you pass up those percentages I don't know. Maybe a program upgrade is needed.More to learn I guess, I can always make a TPI swap later.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:47 PM

not tpi or fi , A CARBERATOR holley or carter regulate the fuel pressure an run ,,build a simple v=8 motor and run it, you will pass the sniff test if its not to rich on the carb .I lived in Fla. where they had to check it by computer what a pain in the tail pipe[:@] made it pass for 8 years with a "B" good luck TAS...[sm=badbadbad.gif]