82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

locked up tourqe converter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default locked up tourqe converter?

i put a new trans in my 1985 every thing worked good till bolted all the way up. could it be just splines are a little off locking it up and if so do i need to pull the whole thing to fix it?

Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: locked up tourqe converter?

You should put the convertor on the trans and make sure it is seated in the groove then bolt the engine to the trans and bolt the torque convertor to the flex plate. You can unbolt it from the flew plat and see if it spins at all there should be some back and forth play I cant remember the spec but I think its less than a quarter inch. Is it a lock up trans I belive there is a grommet(o ring) at the end of the input shaft on a lock up if so is it the correct convertor?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: jml317

i put a new trans in my 1985 every thing worked good till bolted all the way up. could it be just splines are a little off locking it up and if so do i need to pull the whole thing to fix it?
I just read a post of yours where you boasted about building your trans at age 17........This could be what is called Bad Karma
What is it you are having a problem with? When you put the converter in the trans did you rotate it and feel it click in about 3 times? I don't know how fat your fingers are but you should not be able to fit an index finger between the converter and the bell house at the bottom. Also when you bolt it up to the motor there should be a good sized gap (1/4"-1/2" about) between the flex plate and the converters bolt holes.
Is the car together and just not moving? Did you get another TC? Could be wrong one. I had a customer buy a 200-4R that was suposed to be some hot **** from an A-Hole in Florida. After I installed it the car would not move. The customer called the ****face that built the tranny and after he tried to blame everything on my install it turned out he sent a converter he said was for a 700-R4. Luckily I had to pull the trans again to change the converter because I dropped the tranny off at a shop and they opened it up and found it was a ****ed up piece of ****!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well i only said that from ppl tryin to dog on me for using an incorect term. but i turned the converter and it turned fine on the trans and i made sure it clicked in. it still turned aftter i losely fit the bell housing and then tightened it then the converter but now it is locked. It is the converter that came with the trans which was just removed from a camaro and it worked fine so i know it is the right one. i got a feeling some where along the line it got a little crocked or tilted and the splines are in a bind. but there is about a half inch between it and the fly wheel so not sure yet im going to take it lose tomorrow and see what i can do.