82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Engine Q's and terminology

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Engine Q's and terminology

So, the wife suggested for me to get a new engine in the Camaro so it can be my daily driver then the sell SVT. Seriously, financially it makes more sense believe it or not. I'd save $418 per month once the Focus is sold. No car payments makes us happy.

I have some questions that hopefully some knowledgeable people can help me out on. I know OF engines and their names and numbers but I do not know WHAT engines would work with what I already have on my car. I'm thinking a 350 crate motor would be a good idea since they are cheap, have warranty and will give me more power than my 305. However, I know nothing on what to look for and what a lot of this terminology means.

So maybe an explanation of what I'm after might get me the help I need. Here's a site with some examples of what I was looking at.

My goals:
  • Total budget of $3,000 to get the car driving like new. The trans only has 100,000 mi on it and shifted good so I doubt that needs to be replaced. The rearend felt ok as well.
  • While I have a total budget number the preference is to use as little $$$ as possible. This will also allow me to finish the restoration of the interior and exterior.
  • Time frame is set to literally how long it takes me to pay off enough to break even on the SVT when sold. I'm approximating March 2012.
  • Be able to use my TBI system + ECU if possible to save me money.
  • Least amount of hassle possible for me to deal with, in other words keeping the customizing and fabricating to next-to-none. LOL
  • A good quality local reputable shop to put the engine in that won't F my S up.
    I would want the power output to be at least 250hp and 320tq. If I get more then great! If not, I don't care.

What I don't understand and questions I have:
  • What 2 bolt or 4 bolt main actually mean?
  • And what "bolts" does my factory 305 have?
  • What comes with a long block?
  • What doesn't come with a long block?
  • What of my accessories and stuff under the hood will fit on these 350 crate engines?
  • What accessories would you recommend to be replaced regardless of age?
  • Are the 275hp 350tq numbers (average) I'm seeing on these 350 crates realistic?
  • What performance parts would be a good idea to have installed while the engine is being assembled to save the hassle in the future? IE, is it better to get a better cam and crank while the engine is out being assembled?

Any help is greatly appreciated. The more information and help I get the better off I'll be to get the project completed as quickly as possible once the time comes.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

First off, your budget of 3k is way too low, unless you bought a junkyard motor and rebuilt and installed it yourself. If thats not an option, set your budget to 8k. A decent crate engine is going to set you back at least 3k. A parts store long block would be cheaper, but won't be performance oriented. Your power requirements are on par though with just a part's store engine and having the cam swapped. You can reuse the TBI, but will need upgrades to work with a 350. You will need the knock sensor, PROM chip for the computer, and the larger injectors for the 350.

Now to answer your questions. The "bolts" are referring to how many bolts hold the main bearing caps to the block. Truck engines use 4 bolts on each cap, car engines use 2. You have 2 in your 305. The 4 bolt is stronger, but with your goal, you wouldn't need the 4 bolt block, but it won't make a difference if you do get one that is a 4 bolt block. A long block is an assembled engine. It has the cylinder heads installed, internals installed. You would need to swap over everything else: valve covers, oil pan (possibly pump as well, depending on builder), possibly front timing cover, intake manifold, sensors, harmonic balancer and pulley, flex plate, engine mount brackets, and all accessories. If you are spending the money on a new engine, now would be the best time to just replace the balancer as it is a wear item, and also get some nice chrome dress up valve covers and oil pan. However, a crate engine will have the valve covers and oil pan installed already. Just need to install balancer, flex plate, and intake. All accessories and parts will bolt on if getting a engine designed to use 87 and up parts. As for changing any internal parts like the cam, that will void the warranty. The numbers are realistic CRANK hp number, not WHEEL hp. Most include a dyno sheet. The only performance parts I would suggest installing at that time would be a good set of headers and maybe a better intake manifold. You can only ask so much from the TBI system before it stops responding to added power, but as long as you upgrade the TBI correctly, it won't be a problem

Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear Member

3k is too low for a budget. A good crate 350 will cost about 3k, then depending on the shop it will be fairly expensive to swap the motor out. I would say it took me about 5 hours to remove the engine. I was not too carefull either since I was replacing everything. It is time consuming to drain coolant, remove the hood, exhaust, radiator, trans lines, trans itself.

You metioned the trans having 100,000 miles on it, sure it can go more, but I would recommend a rebuild with those kinds of miles on it, let alone putting a fresh motor in front of it with those miles on it. I would agree with micro on the budget.

3K+-motor, fully dressed (parts store or very cheap crate)
1.5K-install of motor
1K for all misc fluids, belts, balancer, mounts, injector, knock sensor, etc
1K for trans removal, rebuild, install and fluids.
1K for new headers and new exhaust including cat

I could honestly see anotherfew hundred on the install and other things I'm forgetting. As for the interior....that will not be cheap either. It is very easy to get caught spending as much on a resto as it would just keeping what you have or getting a better used car. 10K for a minimal resto is easy.....that is assuming no body or paint work.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
4th Gear Member

$3,000 and it seems like you need to pay someone to do the labor??

get the engien/tranny yanked, send out the engine you have for a stock rebuild, send out the tranny for a rebuild, call it a day and get over having a performance car. You aren't budgeting enough