Terminology question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes
Default Terminology question

What does "Subframe Connectors" mean? And why would someone use this as a selling point?

Also, "New Bushings and Body Mounts"? What bushing are they referring to (likely)?

Yeah, I'm mechanically challenged []

Thanks Fellas.......

EDIT: Okay, I Googled subframe connectors and now understand what they are. But while I know what "bushings" are in general, which specific bushings would someone be using as a selling point? And I don't understand "New body mounts".

Old 05-04-2007, 01:23 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Terminology question

If they say bushings they should mean all the ones for the front and rear suspension, body mounts should be the rubber mounts that hook the front subframe to the body, and maybe new bolts there as well.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 74454bb

If they say bushings they should mean all the ones for the front and rear suspension, body mounts should be the rubber mounts that hook the front subframe to the body, and maybe new bolts there as well.
Thank you, sir!

I amy have found a car that I want. It's supposed to be a 69' Z28. It's got a 302 emblem on the cowl hood and Z striping, but I'm not sure if it's real (haven't found out the code on it yet). The engine is a beefed up 350 and looks sharp. The price is $22K. This is SUPER low compared to what I've been seeing. It's a 12 bolt, M21 4 speed, too. There appears to be some minor rust in the trunk. And no, I haven't seen it in person. The pics look very nice, and I don't think I've seen a better price on a car in this "apparent" shape.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Certainly the engine is not from a 69 (or earlier) Z/28 as they were all 302cid, I don't recall 302 emblems on the cowl hood, but since mine didn't have a cowl hood (as well as being 38 years ago) I'm not sure. Also Z's had 15" wheels rather than14" like the rest of the Camaros, but that is easily changedand is not a positive ID. Your best bet is checking the codes on the cowl plate, etc. to see what the car originally was.
Clyde

Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
May 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: dbx

Thank you, sir!
no need to call me sir, I work for a livin. sounds like you have a good find, probably isnt an original Z but if it's a silid car it may be worth it. good luck and let us know what you find out...........your welcome.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:37 AM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

Update: I called and made the guy an offer. He buys and fixes...and sells all kinds of cars here and there. He's pretty sure it was originally a 6cyl. I think I already stated that I KNEW it wasn't a Z. Man, if it was a Z, he'd have to have his head examined for the price. Anyway, he put a 350 (bored .030 over) in it and bult it pretty well. It has a 4 speed Saginaw tranny (which also can't be original in that car). Most of what you can see under the hood is chromed. It is not ps, but he's putting on pb this weekend. He already had the kit to do it. The subframe was powder coated, it has a brand new 12 bolt and axle, new Flowmasters exhaust. It looks clean underneath. He admits there were two small rust holes in the passenger side pan, but he fixed it and put this stuff....um..can't recall name...they use for quieting high-rise buildings...insulation kinda (very expensive, but he does that kind of work for a living).

Anyway, I really like the car...don't care about coding...and I'll hear back from him tomorrow. I'm a player, lol, and will likely buy the car sight unseen (I've seen 40+ pics though). It's being sold through a reputable dealer (friend of his), and I can have it transported to me for about $375.

Yep, I gave up on caring about coding after all the looking I've done. I'm not looking for an investment, just a car I love and can try to make even nicer. IF....IF..it works out, I'll be sure to post pics after I receive the car. I broke the news to my wife tonight, lol. I just had to assure her that I'd sell the damn thing if I had to...to put the kids through college if we became desperate.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:41 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Good luck hope all goes well, we could use another clasic here,

Old 05-05-2007, 01:54 AM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 74454bb

Good luck hope all goes well, we could use another clasic here,
I hear ya. You can bet your @ss I'll be hanging out here asking a LOT more questions after I get one.

I was never a "car guy" so to speak, but I'm not a total idiot either. These kind of cars are the same as I grew up with and most of my friends had. I'm 48yrs old, and I have only cared about two cars that I've ever owned: 79' Z-28 Camaro & a 84' Camaro w/T-tops. The 79' was my clear favorite out of the 2, but I liked the 84' a good bit too. I can't wait to get a car I actually WANT to wash and wax

Old 05-05-2007, 05:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

here is a very little known fact about helping find an original optioned car when the numbers just aren't clear enough.

most of the optioned cars (SS, RS, RS/SS, Z-28) came with a trunk spoiler. because of this, the trunk was heavier and wouldn't open well. to solve this, GM put the different slots in the trunk supports to change tension. if the car you look at doesn't have a trunk that opens and springs up pretty easily, the car is almost surely a fake and the spoiler was added later. most people don't know this and don't go through the trouble of moving the springs[:-]

Old 05-05-2007, 09:10 AM
May 2007 ROTM

That is a good tip to know............Yes it is nice to really want the car you have, and have the car you want.I don't know what it is but I have always been a car guy, and from the sounds of it you may not be a car guy, but the Camaro has caught your heart. Now go get that car.

Quick Reply: Terminology question