82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Default Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

Themuffler on my IROC needs replaced. It is rusted to the point thatthedrivers side final pipe is just sitting loose, only being held inplacewith bailing wire.

I was talking it over with my father in law. I have priced flow master cat back systems and seem to think that is a good way to go. However he said... "Just cut thepipe off just before curve to the muffler (removing the the muffler)and attach a Cherry Bomb glass pack. Trim the pipe back so the cherry bomb doesnt stick out the back and your done". The rest of the exhaust is in good shape on my car. Both cats are good and the pipe all the way back looks fine. The exhaust actually sounds good now but because of the rust I was told by a welder he can not weld it.

Any ways... What can I expect by just sticking a cherry bomb to the back end of the exhaust and leaving the cats. I am not really concerned with more power although more is always nice. Just thought I would see if their is any warnings before doing this. And what size of glass pack you would suggest? Thanks for any input.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Cherry Bomb Glass Packs

I did some looking around and see where people have used them on simular cars. It is a mixed bag of sound great to sound crappy. But I could not find anyone talking about using it as a single exhaust and without removing the cats.

btw my car is a 1989 IROC-Z 5.7, all stock

Old 08-29-2008, 05:30 AM

you might want to check your state laws.some states like virgina,it is illegal to have cherrybombs on the car.most of the time cherrybombs don't really have a good sound.its just plain out too loud!! a flowmaster really has about the best sound.it sound good at idle,it has a great sound when you get down on it

Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 PM

I think I may still try it and see what happens. Its a cheap setup and I wont be out much if I dont like it. My main concern is where to put it. After the cats, remove the cats and put it there, or if putting it in place of the muffler. And then their is the question on length and diameter to get. Thanks for the information.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Overdrive Member

Cherry bombs are for old turd ford trucks. Too much of a burrap and not a good rumble sound. If you don't want any clearance issues get a cat back or the pipe from a shop and your own muffler in the stock location. If you do want to go cherry bombs search the web for GMMG (or GMMC) Chambered exhaust for 3rd gens.Its like performance exhaust that was offered on first gens.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 AM

Yea I thought about doing what you suggest with just replacing the stock muffler with something simular.

GMMG... My god man. That does look nice but a little on the high $ side for me right now. ButI guess you get what you paid for.

If I decide to go with a cherry bomb it is ok to just mount it in place of the muffler. Or does it need to be behind the cats? Thanks

Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Cherrybombs are gonna be LOUD! I would say go with the flowmaster and lose the cats.. You'll get a better, more tolerable exhaust note.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Cherrybombs are gonna be LOUD! I would say go with the flowmaster and lose the cats.. You'll get a better, more tolerable exhaust note.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Sorry about the double post.. i cant find where to delete the first one!