more mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default more mileage?

is there anything i can do to improve my gas mileage on my 2.8?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: more mileage?

There are a few things. A free flowing intake and exhaust can help. Watch the weather reports, and plan your route to always be driving with a tail-wind! And try to avoid pushing down that pesky gas pedal so much. That last one is the most important. Unless there is a problem with the engine, poor gas mileage comes from poor driving habits (lead-foot gas pedal).

Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

There are a few things that can help. Keep in mind you are talking about very small differences. First off a good tune up goes a long way. New plugs, oil, and checking your vacuum lines for air leaks can go a long way. A K&N filter is a cheap way to let that old engine breath a little easyer and its like 30 bucks and you will never have to replace it. If you can get under your car check the O2 sensior even if your not throwing a light yet years of neglect can cause it to read a little off causing your engine to run richer then she should. Also if your cats are not looking so hot and you dont have 02 test you may remove then to open up a little more flow and let that engine breath. As long as you dont have a O2 past the cat this is not a bad mod and is cheap. Other then a tune up the best mod i can recomend is one can of sea foam. Half in the tank and half in the vacuum lines. If you do a search you should be able to find the proper way to sea foam your lines. If you cant find it PM me and i will walk you throw the steeps. This may be the cheapest and most noticible gain.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Modifying a cat is bad advise to give some one over the web unless you know if their area does testing of not. The cat is very effective in lowering HCs'.

And in one thread the OP wants more power. Now better mileage... What the hell man! Can't decide what you want out of your car. [8D]

Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Removing the cats on a 20 year old car that has had better days is not bad advice. And thats why i noted if you area has testing. Most likely the car is running a factory cat that is already well past her life frame.

When it comes to making power and MPG there is a fine line where you can gain both sides. A good tune up can go a long way towards making a cleaner, smoother, stronger, more efficient power plant.

K&N filter
Good plugs
Sea Foam fuel/vacuum lines
replacing warn vacuum lines.
O2 seniors
replacing or removing over used cat

Just a few idea's that are cheap and may help out a little bit . As stated above check your state laws for emissions regulations.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok well where can i get high performance plugs? i have a can of seafoam in the tank now... i just got the back of the exhaust re-done... i think its catback... planning on getting a cold air intake... ill throw some seafoam in the lines... i guesse what im trying to do is make my car have better acceleration without having to go down to like 10 mpg