Lift-kit Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Default Lift-kit Help?

Im looking for a lift kit for the rear-end of the car.. maybe lower the front by a inch too. It have no ground effects what-so-ever so clearance shouldn't be much a issue. Ill probably look into larger rear end tires down the road.. but does anyone know where I can find such kits? Havent been so lucky too far. Have a 85 2.8 V6 tpi.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Lift-kit Help?

If you are just looking to raise the rear end up some the best bet is to put a set of air shocks on and adjust to the height that you want that way. You can find them at any part store.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Overdrive Member

You could go with air shocks but only so far. They worked fine for leaf springs but you have coils instead and putting more space between the body and rear end will cause the springs to seat loose and maybe fall out.
Might want to check into a thicker spring spacer that is on top of it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't think the springswould come looseor fall out because rear end can only come down so far as is you would have to remove the pan arm bar before that could happen. we have a member on our club that has a 1983 camaro that he has liftedquite a bet with air shock's andwith out any problems

Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I don't know any oakies that have a Camaro (or any of my cousins that have one either). But I do know that when I changed my rear coils I did not have to remove the panhard rod or anything to get them out. I just jacked up the car and pulled the stock ones out by hand.
So not knowing how high this person will go, it is fair to warn him/her. Besides some thicker spacers would not hurt and if the car is not going to be too much higher they would be cheaper than air shocks.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As i stated "i don't think they would come loose" i have not removed my rear end yet to see how easy it would be to remove the springs. How far did the rear end have to come down before they just came out. more than 2 to 4" right. And as far as the cost of spacer and air shocks go if you are to get a set of none adjjustable spacers yes they would be cheaper no dout about it. but to get a set of adjustable spacers vs the price of a set of air shock they are pretty close to the same price. and in my opinion a set of air shocks would be a lot easier to install and adjust for the extra few dollars that they would cost.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Okay.. well I decided to hit up rock auto. They have 2" spacers Im picken up for a few bucks which is easier then whole new air shocks.. Should be easy enough to install. Ill buy springs for the front end that are an inch shorter heh.. But thanks again guys. Now Ive gotta hunt down larger tiers for the rear.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

just figured i'd drop my 2 cents in here, the panhard bar does not need to be dropped in order to remove the springs, but the height of the stock shocks will not allow the springs to come loose, as long as the air shocks installed have the same range of motion the will not come loose, i just put the lift spacers in his springs for him (xovit) a few days ago along with changing his shocks.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Overdrive Member

When I changed my springs I did not disconect anything. All I did was put the car on the lift and pull them out by hand. There is some tension on them but could still possibly pop out if I could yank on them to get them out. Also did not know how high he wanted to go with his lift. Beside a spring should be compressed some any way. So if you use air shocks its a good idea to use spacers.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 PM

Actualy, i had a very similar question to xovit. I have an 85, and when I bought it it already had the large rear tires. However, the suspension was never changed. This gave me the problem that with any weight in the rear (or hitting a bump abve 40 MPH or so) the tires rub on the frame. I am looking to add air shocks to the car to give me an adjustable suspension. My question is, what are good brands to add? I realize that all air shocks are not created equal, but I don't know what's good. Any advice?

Quick Reply: Lift-kit Help?