3.1 will only idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigBZ28
Yes those exactly. I went cheap on ebay and found a guy with a bunch of used ones. I don't suggest that though. It was suppose to be $16 but when I made the quanity to 6 it charged $5 shipping for each one and the seller would not reply my messeges to change it and combine the shipping. I bought them anyway and never heard from the guy. Not even a thank you. Anyway, I put them in and it ran but was missing on 2 cylinders. 2 of the injector were bad so I mesured the resistance of my old one and put the 2 best if and it has run fine ever since. Those that are $90 are remans and have a warranty so you will be better off. Let me now if it works out
Here's another place to find low price injectors.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Emperor
Here's another place to find low price injectors.

Where? No link.

My Chevy S10 has a recall for that hose but the Camaro doesn't. It could be the problem but is a pain to drop the gas tank on these things. If there is a restriction in the fuel line, the car will slowly stall as it still might flow enough, or it wont run at all because no pressure. If your car stalls right after opening the throttle almost as if someone just turned it off, then the problem is electrical. Also if the line is restricted, it would take awhile to start up again as to allow pressure to build up. You'll lose fuel pressure if there is a restriction.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigBZ28
Where? No link.

My Chevy S10 has a recall for that hose but the Camaro doesn't. It could be the problem but is a pain to drop the gas tank on these things. If there is a restriction in the fuel line, the car will slowly stall as it still might flow enough, or it wont run at all because no pressure. If your car stalls right after opening the throttle almost as if someone just turned it off, then the problem is electrical. Also if the line is restricted, it would take awhile to start up again as to allow pressure to build up. You'll lose fuel pressure if there is a restriction.
Thanks for helping me out with that theory, and I don't know what happened to the link. I posted it. I don't know what happened to it. I'm at work now. I was on my home computer when I posted it. I'll look for it later and post it.

I don't think it's the fuel hose after reading about everyone else's problems and remembering how my car died. I was driving along on a hot day, drove probably 100 miles, the temperature was at 220, and then it started to buck. At first, I thought it was a transmission thing. It kept bucking 'til it completely broke down on the side of the road.

It wouldn't start without starter fluid, and the best chance to start it would be once every 20 minutes when the engine cooled down.

I've had the thing in the shop FOR OVER A MONTH NOW! I'm being driven crazy by the whole thing. I feel like the old lady in Requiem for a Dream. Anyway, I read around on the internet and I've noticed some of the same problems happening to other Camaro RS 3.1L owners. So, this is a common problem with this type of engine.

The mechanic that has my car has done all of the rigamarole -- replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump, the fuel this, the fuel that. Still, it will start, idle, but when you press the gas, it dies.

In all of the instances where folks have replaced the injectors, their car has been fixed. And if it does the same for me, then I'm going to strongly suggest cajundude buy these same injectors and put those in his boy's Camaro and see what happens. But, you know, I hope it does work so I can write an article about this or something.

Oh, and one other thing I need to mention. About two and a half years before this happened, I was getting instances where my car would start to choke up when I was idling at a stop light and I would have to keep it revved up so it wouldn't die. That's another thing I've read about these 3.1L engines, and that's another thing that makes me believe it's the injectors.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM

OK, the car is now running and it's also SOLD! I changed out the venom fuel injectors and went to the "u-pull-it" junk yard with my ohm meter and found 6 good stock fuel injectors off another 3.1. I went home and changed the injectors and it runs fine. My son drove it for 3 weeks with no problems. Put it on craigs list and sold it in 30 minutes. I turned around an bought a 99 camaro with a 3.8 ,power everything, leather and t-tops for 4300. runs better and gets better gas mileage.
After weeks of working on thus car , I did learn a lesson. KEEP IT SIMPLe.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM

My car got fixed too. Rather than write it all out, I explained everything on my radio show at the 5:05 mark:

[youtube]vmea6jgsccM[/youtube]