87 Iroc z z28 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The plan is to get it running good, and looking good, and then drive it around, so i guess more of a face lift than a total restoration. As for purring like a kitten i was getting a little ahead of my self. I drove it home from my buddies shop today, i stoped to put some new gas in it, the gas gage dosent work so i didnt know it had more gas in it than i thought, i put about 13 buks of super in it and it was full (not good because that gas was sitting for 4 years). It wouldnt start back up, i had to spray starter fluid into the intake, it started up, i drove it about 10 miles, no problems, i came to a stop sign and it died on me. Had to spray it with starter fluid again, started back up. Died on me once more when i had to stop for a school bus, again starter fluid and i was back on the road, but i did manage to get it home. Called my buddy and he said something about a cold air sensor? Its gonna sit till next week sometime then im gonna get back to it. But i have to say it shifted nice, the clutch felt good, and it has a nice rumble to it.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Can i put a syphon down the filler neck of the gas tank and drain the tank of the bad gas that way? or will the hose of the syphon be blocked from entering the gas tank?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 PM
4th Gear Member

fuel filters are cheap and easy to replace

Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Whats the best way to empty the bad gas out of the car without droping the fuel tank? any suggestions?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
4th Gear Member

The "bad" gas and your new gas are mixed with each other by this time. You'll have to run her till she's empty again. But like torque said, change the fuel filter, they're cheap.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I ended up geting just about all of the bad gas out, i siphond out just under 14gallons and then put in 5gallons of good super, and a little bit of dry gas. It sounded real rough at first but then evened out real nice and was idleing alot smoother. Im gonna change the fuel filter monday, its supposed to be almost 50 out so that should work. Its to cold now thats why im working at snails pace. Me and my friend are going to put on a new convertible top and paint it. This will be our first attempt at painting, but this probably wont happend for a month or so. I read up on how to test the fuel sending unit. I have to test that because the gas gauge is not working, and also my battery gauge dose not work. There are some wires near the steering colum kinda under the brake fluid resivoir, that seem to be slighty worn into maybe slightly cut from the steering colum rubbing it. So i have to check that out to.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like a fun project, any pics of the car?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a few pics, but ive hit a snag in the wallet, and im in the saving up some money phase of the project.

Attached Thumbnails 87 Iroc z z28 restoration-img_20120106_142445.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update: So I was talking to my buddy the other day and turns out he has a 350 lt1 engine with 55K miles on it, sitting in his shop, i belive it came out of a later 90's camaro and ran good, ( the previous owner swaped it for a stroker motor). So he says i can buy that engine, and put some of the parts from my 305 on it and it should bolt right in. He said $300 for the motor witch he says is real good deal, and then about another $900 to get it installed, by him and the camaro guy he knows. This sounds like a good deal to me because if that engine ran good it should take away the issues im dealing with in the 305. And ill be bumping up to a 350. I think he said we will use my heads? and they will send them to the engine guy to get valve and spring job? Im pumped because i want to get it running good before i do the new top, paint and interior. BUT, do you think it would be better to get the 305 running good and keep that one, because i bet i could get it going good for under $1200 but im not really sure, due to my lack of engine knowlage. All i know is i want this camaro to pimp around before summers here. He also said he has some headers for 75 bucks i can have. I think i will have the tri fector car, 350, 5 speed manual, convertible. One more thing, he said we should probably do the clutch while its out, i dont know prices on clutchs so i have to look into that. This should be fun when its done, the last camaro i had was a purple 92 25th aniversery 305 automatic with t tops, and i beleive it had 273 in the rear end, and this one i have now has 345's with a 350 i think i should feel the difference. yeeehaaaaawwwww

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
4th Gear Member

If I"m not mistaken, the heads off the 305 will not work with the 350 LT1. LT1's have reverse flow cooling, meaning the heads get cooled first then the block. If anything, I'd have the heads port/polished.

Second, that 5 speed will not handle the power the LT puts down. You can run it with it, but the second you get on it, it's gone. Clutch kits usually run around $200.

Quick Reply: 87 Iroc z z28 restoration